Question Built a custom PC desk for a friend - keeps auto restarting

sceptism

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
A bit of background, I work as a system integrator for a living so am quite familiar with PC in normal cases.

This is my first time doing a custom PC housed inside a desk and it's consistently giving me this issue: it always restarts suddenly after a few minutes of use. Like someone pressed the reset button.

I have changed every component already and am at my wit's end so I seek the wisdom of the forum.

The table is fully made of wood, hanging on metal bars at the sides, spray painted black.

The components are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi (BIOS ver F60c)
Processor: Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: Ryzen Wraith Prism
GPU: Galax RTX 2060 Super Gamer
RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury RGB 2 x 8 3600 MHz
SSD: Transcend MTE220S 256 GB NVMe
HDD: Toshiba 1 TB
PSU: Silverstone ET 650 W 80+ Gold + Custom Sleeved Cables

Only thing I can think of now is that I have the motherboard just sitting on the desk with no standoffs. Could that be the cause? I did it this way cause I thought wood would be fine. I have a rig in a cardboard box sitting inside without standoffs too.

Please educate me if you have insights to this problem thank you!!!

Picture of the Custom PC Desk

Hi,

Turn OFF the PC, unplugged from the wall and then ....

first thing to do will be remove everything from the motherboard but the CPU+Cooler, 1 stick of RAM, GPU and the power cables, turn it On and see what happend.

If it works then start adding the other devices (SSD, HDD, the other stick of RAM, etc) one by one.

Last edited:

sceptism

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Might not help this problem but ground is definitively needed, all the way to PSU input.

Alright so holy <Mod Edit> grounding it still causes issues. Damn. I've replaced every single component on the rig already other than the HDD (which reads fine and works fine so I think very unlikely).

The restart very randomly occurs - it's like while you are browsing leisurely on your computer and someone came over and pressed the reset button on your PC. The whole PC just resets and boots up smoothly.

I am .... super out of ideas. Asking my friend to send some pictures over and I'll have it posted up for you guys to check and hopefully you guys can see something that I don't.

Thank you so much for the responses so far though, it's great to have some people to talk to about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

sceptism

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
yeah then I suspect the RAM is not entirely stable at 3200 XMP on the 2nd gen motherboard, maybe try 2933!?

I actually am running them at stock speeds at optimized values haha.

Mini update though - I'm not sure if we're on to something, but we used some insulating tape to roughly tape down the reset button. The random restarts seem to have dropped down significantly. But still happens once in awhile so I'm not sure if it's really that