Question Built a New PC with some previous parts - Games Can’t Run - Ryzen 5 5600x + RX 6700 XT - please help

Aug 25, 2024
Hello! I just built a new pc and my games aren’t running as smoothly as they should be (from looking at benchmarks with the same components) . I actually returned my graphics card because I thought I had a faulty graphics card and installed a new one and I’m having the same issues and games won’t even load in.
- Ryzen 5 5600x
- Gigabyte B450 DS3H mobo (F63c bios)
- RX 6700 XT
- 16 GB 3200 DDR4
- 500 MB Wd blue sata SSD
- 2 TB M.2 Wd black
-EVGA 600 watt 80+ bronze power supply

These are the current specs, I originally had a RX 6600 but since it wasn’t performing well I returned and upgraded but I’m having the same problems. Everything is brand new except the motherboard and sata ssd and power supply. The computer works but games don’t run or even load in now. When they do load in the performance is bad. I reinstalled my graphics card drivers as my old SSD had a rtx 3070. Im not sure what to do as I thought my graphics card was the problem, but it turns out it’s not…is there a chance my CPU is faulty, as two different graphics cards aren’t working?

I think I uninstalled the old Nvidia drivers using DDU in safe mode
you think you did, or you did?
if you're unsure, make sure that you do.
EVGA 600 watt
include the actual make & model.
RX 6700 XT
had a rtx 3070
the RTX 3070 is near to the RX 6700 in terms of performance.

were you getting better performance before,
and have you tried the RTX 3070 again to see if it also suffers from the same current issue(s)?

Aug 25, 2024

EVGA 600 BR, 80+ Bronze 600W,​

Is there any way to check if all of my Nvidia drivers are uninstalled? I followed a tutorial to uninstall them. The problem is I sold my old pc 2 years ago, but kept the power supply ssd and motherboard. they were kind of just sitting in my closet until i wanted to make a new pc. I sold the rtx 3070 a while ago so I cannot test it.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello! I just built a new pc and my games aren’t running as smoothly as they should be (from looking at benchmarks with the same components) . I actually returned my graphics card because I thought I had a faulty graphics card and installed a new one and I’m having the same issues and games won’t even load in.
- Ryzen 5 5600x
- Gigabyte B450 DS3H mobo (F63c bios)
- RX 6700 XT
- 16 GB 3200 DDR4
- 500 MB Wd blue sata SSD
- 2 TB M.2 Wd black
-EVGA 600 watt 80+ bronze power supply

These are the current specs, I originally had a RX 6600 but since it wasn’t performing well I returned and upgraded but I’m having the same problems. Everything is brand new except the motherboard and sata ssd and power supply. The computer works but games don’t run or even load in now. When they do load in the performance is bad. I reinstalled my graphics card drivers as my old SSD had a rtx 3070. Im not sure what to do as I thought my graphics card was the problem, but it turns out it’s not…is there a chance my CPU is faulty, as two different graphics cards aren’t working?
Did you do a clean Windows install or was there an OS installed on that SSD already? You will be chasing problems until you do a clean Windows install, IMO.

Aug 25, 2024
Did you do a clean Windows install or was there an OS installed on that SSD already? You will be chasing problems until you do a clean Windows install, IMO.
OS was already installed. I’m actually doing a clean windows install right as we speak.

Is there any way to check if all of my Nvidia drivers are uninstalled?
just by running DDU again and making sure to remove all graphics data.

but you definitely need a fresh OS install with a new motherboard.
hopefully that helps with any real issue you're facing.

and don't trust videos touting performance claims.
even if you do have the exact same hardware with the exact same settings, you have to keep in mind that these videos are there to draw in views, so what they're claiming can always just be some bs to draw in another click.

EVGA 600 BR
and yes, this is a lower quality unit, not really intended for heavy gaming systems.

Aug 25, 2024
just by running DDU again and making sure to remove all graphics data.

but you definitely need a fresh OS install with a new motherboard.
hopefully that helps with any real issue you're facing.

and don't trust videos touting performance claims.
even if you do have the exact same hardware with the exact same settings, you have to keep in mind that these videos are there to draw in views, so what they're claiming can always just be some bs to draw in another click.

and yes, this is a lower quality unit, not really intended for heavy gaming systems.
so I should get a new motherboard and power supply?

Aug 25, 2024
Reinstall the game(s). DDU doesn't remove the Nvidia shader compiler settings saved in the game files.
I reinstalled the games 3 different times. After doing a clean install of windows and drivers I can launch the games however the performance is still terrible. I’ve noticed that the cpu utilization is at 100% whilst the GPU utilization is bouncing anywhere from 0%-100% and not staying steady at all. It also looks like my cou is running at 4.5 clock speed when it’s base is around 3.7.

Mattzun

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
On an AMD system, make sure you have the latest MB/chipset drivers from AMD.
The ones from the motherboard manufacturer aren't always up to date and they can make a noticeable difference.

Aug 25, 2024
On an AMD system, make sure you have the latest MB/chipset drivers from AMD.
The ones from the motherboard manufacturer aren't always up to date and they can make a noticeable difference.
Are the motherboard drivers different from bios or the same thing?

Mattzun

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
Are the motherboard drivers different from bios or the same thing?
They are different - you can get them directly from AMD's web site
The AMD auto detect utility will get the best ones for your motherboard.

If your CPU is showing 100 percent, you should probably see what you get in a CPU benchmark like cinebench.

A 5600X shouldn't be running at 100 percent on a 6700XT unless you are running at 720P low to avoid the GPU bottleneck.

Reactions: BaneRyan
Aug 25, 2024
They are different - you can get them directly from AMD's web site
The AMD auto detect utility will get the best ones for your motherboard.

If your CPU is showing 100 percent, you should probably see what you get in a CPU benchmark like cinebench.

A 5600X shouldn't be running at 100 percent on a 6700XT unless you are running at 720P low to avoid the GPU bottleneck.
Actually I do have the chipset drivers then I installed them. I’ll definitely do the CPU benchmark. I think my cpu may be the problem. I return my new rx 6600 because it wasn’t running well and now the rx 6700xt isn’t either. Is it possible I have a faulty cpu?

I was playing in 1080p ultra btw

Should I try to resit my cpu, apply new thermal paste, or reinstall the heat sink? Screwing in the heat sink was giving me some problems. I was thinking what if the heat sink wasn’t touching the cpu or something. But honestly not sure I don’t really know much.