Built-In Kinect for Mobile Devices a Battery Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the purpose of a built-in kinect device on a laptop, tablet or netbook? What exactly do they hope to achieve? Recognize when the user sat in front of it, so it can resume from stand-by? Nobody can touch the trackpad anymore?
I mean these questions; I do not see any advantage of having one built-in.
I can see a peripheral-based kinect for, say, desktops, in a gaming-oriented environment. Even if some business-related uses could come up, it could still be a peripheral, not a built-in.

cybneo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I'll have to DL the SDK. seems pretty interesting if i could code some neat apps for home use. voice commands + gestures = WIN

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
It would be cool to surf the net just by moving my hand. But the price needs to be reasonable, like 25 bucks more. I don't see many people, except maybe MAC users, spending an extra 250 to do this.

G

Kinect for mobile systems, this ought to be REALLY interesting. Let the flailing idiocy in public commence!

I wonder how long it takes for people to realize that it's actually faster (and in some cases more discrete) to use a physical control device than it is to voice/motion a command.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]It would be cool to surf the net just by moving my hand.[/citation]

Its something that would be cool for about 30 minutes (like the original Kinect or Wii sports). After that you realize its a gimmick and is a really clumsy control interface. This type of technology will never get to the point where it is more accurate or easy to use than current physical control devices (mice).

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]What is the purpose of a built-in kinect device on a laptop, tablet or netbook? What exactly do they hope to achieve? Recognize when the user sat in front of it, so it can resume from stand-by? Nobody can touch the trackpad anymore?I mean these questions; I do not see any advantage of having one built-in. I can see a peripheral-based kinect for, say, desktops, in a gaming-oriented environment. Even if some business-related uses could come up, it could still be a peripheral, not a built-in.[/citation]
It is about what level of comfort and control you want and you can pay for. If someone has the money, they will most likely buy a mobile device with kinect, just for the kicks if nothing else.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
How about you could use the touchscreen interface of your tablet, but not actually touch it, net result being no more greasy fingerprints so you can use your machine and eat a bucket of fried chicken at the same time.

G

If my PC had a kinect login mine would be "You don't need to see my identification" as I wave my hand... :)

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

If my PC had a kinect login mine would be "You don't need to see my identification" as I wave my hand... :)

So I could login like this... on any device.
uty_thumb.jpg

stephencollier

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
This is one of those solutions without the problem. But someone will eventually come up with some good uses. It'd be nice to have a desktop version to do motion capture for 3D animations... if I did 3D animations. heheheh

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I would love to see Kinects integrated into big screen TVs and computer monitors. While some people will never understand why it was made or think that these are gimmick devices, there was a time with people thought computers were gimmick devices.. now look where we are...

As far as battery life (pertaining to this article) of course the battery is going to suffer if the unit is on all the time. Something tells me they will integrate some smart energy saver technology to turn the unit off when it is not used.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]stephencollier[/nom]This is one of those solutions without the problem. But someone will eventually come up with some good uses. It'd be nice to have a desktop version to do motion capture for 3D animations... if I did 3D animations. heheheh[/citation]

Windows 8 Metro UI.

Yeah, no one can blame Microsoft for not planning ahead.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]stephencollier[/nom]This is one of those solutions without the problem. But someone will eventually come up with some good uses. It'd be nice to have a desktop version to do motion capture for 3D animations... if I did 3D animations. heheheh[/citation]Motion-sensing camera or just explode the battery when nearby movement detected.

I can't wait to see what malware takes advantage of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.