Question Built-in monitor not detected after storage upgrade.

Jun 28, 2023
As the title suggests, my built-in monitor is not working. It's not working on Linux, windows, or on Grub and BIOS menus. Only the external display's that I attach work. I'll explain the steps that lead to this moment.

Before we start I'm not a hardware savvy guy. I can open up a laptop and change out its RAM and SSD, that's about it.

So, my laptop is an MSI GP 65 Leopard 9SE. It is 3 years old at this point and I decided to upgrade it. 10 days ago I upgraded its RAM from 16 GB to 32 GB without any issues (I did not take out the battery). Today I decided to switch out the second m.2 NVMe SSD, which was only for storage, it did not have any boot loader or anything of that type on it, from 512 GB to 1 TB. This time I did take out the battery before the installation. After the installation, I booted up the laptop, and the primary display stopped working so I could not see GRUB to choose my OS. I knew its layout so I could enter the OS I wanted, but the problems did not end there. When I got to Windows, only the external display worked, and I was greeted with "Something happened to your PIN and it is not available", which is very odd. I was able to login into Windows after a couple of restarts. The internal monitor still not working, I went to the display settings and I can see that the inbuilt monitor is detected but it is not active. I did try most of the stuff that I could think of, but still no result.

I know that these might seem like a series of unrelated events, but this is exactly what happened. I did not do anything else after upgrading the SSD. What could have caused this issue? All I did was to just open the laptop and swap out the SSDs, I did not play around with any cables. I would appreciate some help, if this is a repeat question, sorry, but I was unable to find one. Please redirect me to it if that is the case.

Edit:
On linux, none of my displays work.

Last edited:
Solution
It turns out it was not because of the SSD swap, but because of some issue that has been there for about a year. I had this laptop cleaned by a repair shop about a year ago, who did put the display cable in a bad way (but still working). When I was making the SSD swap I probably somehow gave it a little nudge or something that finally pushed it off and damaged one of the pins. I guess the moral of the story is to pick your repair technician well.
Jun 28, 2023
It turns out it was not because of the SSD swap, but because of some issue that has been there for about a year. I had this laptop cleaned by a repair shop about a year ago, who did put the display cable in a bad way (but still working). When I was making the SSD swap I probably somehow gave it a little nudge or something that finally pushed it off and damaged one of the pins. I guess the moral of the story is to pick your repair technician well.

Solution

Latest posts