[SOLVED] Built my first pc and it doesn’t display anything? Please help me

Mar 20, 2021
So I just built my first pc today and started it up. All the fans and LED’s in my case turned on and are working fine. however when i plug my hdmi cable from my monitor into my gpu, nothing comes up and it simply says “no signal”. I have no idea what is wrong. Bear in mind I am very new to computers. My specs are as follows - CPU = Ryzen 5 3600, Motherboard = Asrock b450m hdv, GPU = RX 5500, SSD = 240GB M.2 WD Green, HDD = 1TB Seagate Barracuda, RAM = corsair vengeance 8GB DDR4 3000MHz and a EVGA 600 br 80+ PSU

Solution
Did you make sure you have bios 3.10 version? could be on the box or on the website where you bought it. Becouse i was looking on local webshops, they all are 2000 series ready, so no good for your CPU

Or its the uncompatible ram
when i plug my hdmi cable from my monitor into my gpu, nothing comes up and it simply says “no signal”.
have you tried a different display with this new PC; different monitor or a TV?

have you tried the monitor with a different input; laptop, different PC, game console?

have you tried different cables; different HDMI or a DisplayPort cable?

what type is the monitor?

Do you have the motherboard box? Does it says the BIOS version it's coming from on that box? On that serial number sticker on the board box with the other information.

Or the date of manufacture.

Asking because a B450 non max motherboard if manufactured a while ago will not have the good BIOS version for that CPU to be supported.

Does it have a "Ryzen 3000 ready" sticker on the box?

Mar 20, 2021
have you tried a different display with this new PC; different monitor or a TV?

have you tried the monitor with a different input; laptop, different PC, game console?

have you tried different cables; different HDMI or a DisplayPort cable?

what type is the monitor?
i’ve tried the monitor with my xbox and it works fine, and the same hdmi also works with the xbox. The monitor is just from an old computer, it’s an AOC of some kind, i’m not sure, nothing fancy though

Mar 20, 2021
Do you have the motherboard box? Does it says the BIOS version it's coming from on that box? On that serial number sticker on the board box with the other information.

Or the date of manufacture.

Asking because a B450 non max motherboard if manufactured a while ago will not have the good BIOS version for that CPU to be supported.

Does it have a "Ryzen 3000 ready" sticker on the box?
yes it says “AMD ryzen 3000 desktop ready” is that ok?

yeh unfortunately it still didn’t work :(

Does it post with the bare minimum? 1 stick of ram, cpu installed with cooler and fan, 24pin power connector, cpu power connector, gpu and it's power connector if it has any.

Did you try a clear CMOS?
  • Shutdown PC
  • Turn PSU switch off
  • Unplug from wall
  • Press and hold power button for 15 seconds
  • Remove motherboard battery and go away for 10 mins
  • Put back battery
  • Plug in the wall
  • Turn PSU switch on
  • Turn on system.

Mar 20, 2021
Does it post with the bare minimum? 1 stick of ram, cpu installed with cooler and fan, 24pin power connector, cpu power connector, gpu and it's power connector if it has any.

Did you try a clear CMOS?
  • Shutdown PC
  • Turn PSU switch off
  • Unplug from wall
  • Press and hold power button for 15 seconds
  • Remove motherboard battery and go away for 10 mins
  • Put back battery
  • Plug in the wall
  • Turn PSU switch on
  • Turn on system.
how do i remove the battery?Sorry im kinda new

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
1.Is this your RAM full model name? CMD32GX4M4B3000C15 (Hynix-M), if not it may be that the ones you have are not supported according to your mobos QVL manual (probably unlikelly the problem, but you never know).

2.Remove your motherboard from the case, could be something like I/O shield bit got stuck under USB port and is shorting the contacs, or some part of the case under your motherboard is touching your mobo. (Most unlikelly occurance, but it happens)

3.Try disconnecting all unnecessary cables, sata, rgb, and make sure CPU, MOBO, and GPU cables are connected correctlly, and try getting to bios atleast, could be a simple problem like you didnt connect ur CPU power.

4. Make sure your BIOS is version 3.10 or above, lower versions do not support your CPU.

5.If not than you could go to your local computer shop, and get a MOBO speaker for 1$, could be ussefull for diagnostics.

Last edited:
  1. 24 pin cable connected at front of motherboard
  2. 4 pin atx cable connected top rear of motherboard
  3. 6/8 Pin pci express power connected to gpu.
  4. Ram (if 1 stick only in slot closest to cpu)
  5. Monitor connected to the video out on the 5500xt gpu not the motherboard.

All the first things to check, all components are compatible so if there's nothing actually faulty it's down to a build error.

Are there signs of life on the board,leds/ cpu fan / case fans etc when you power on or is it completely dead??

Mar 20, 2021
1.Is this your RAM full model name? CMD32GX4M4B3000C15 (Hynix-M), if not it may be that the ones you have are not supported according to your mobos QVL manual (probably unlikelly the problem, but you never know).

2.Remove your motherboard from the case, could be something like I/O shield bit got stuck under USB port and is shorting the contacs, or some part of the case under your motherboard is touching your mobo. (Most unlikelly occurance, but it happens)

3.Try disconnecting all unnecessary cables, sata, rgb, and make sure CPU, MOBO, and GPU cables are connected correctlly, and try getting to bios atleast, could be a simple problem like you didnt connect ur CPU power.

4. Make sure your BIOS is version 3.10 or above, lower versions do not support your CPU.

5.If not than you could go to your local computer shop, and get a MOBO speaker for 1$, could be ussefull for diagnostics.
my ram is not the one that you suggested, do you think that could be the issue, it’s version is CMK8GXM41D3000C16?

Mar 20, 2021
  1. 24 pin cable connected at front of motherboard
  2. 4 pin atx cable connected top rear of motherboard
  3. 6/8 Pin pci express power connected to gpu.
  4. Ram (if 1 stick only in slot closest to cpu)
  5. Monitor connected to the video out on the 5500xt gpu not the motherboard.
All the first things to check, all components are compatible so if there's nothing actually faulty it's down to a build error.

Are there signs of life on the board,leds/ cpu fan / case fans etc when you power on or is it completely dead??
Yeh, when i power up the fans, gpu fans, gpu cooler, hard drive and led’s all turn on

Mar 20, 2021

the manual also says only supporting frequencies 2667MH, 2400MHz and 2933MHz, and my ram is 3000MHz, do you think this could be the problem

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
Yeh, when i power up the fans, gpu fans, gpu cooler, hard drive and led’s all turn on
Watch this quick tutorial how to connect your cables properly, and make sure.

I doubt its ram problem, even if you would put higher freq ram, your system would underclock them to supported frequency (but there is always a possibility of ram problem also, becouse youre using not QVL compatable ones, but on the other hand, your system woundnt post and you wouldnt even get a text on the monitor with "no signal")

Also try diferrent cable, like DVI

TRENDING THREADS