Built New PC But....

G

Hey, I built a new PC and I wanted you to rate it and check it plz, and see if there is any problem. Here's the specs :

Motherboard | Asus M4A89GTD PRO Socket AM3/ AMD 890GX/ SATA3&USB 3.0/ A&V&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

Processor | AMD Phenom II X6 Six-Core Processor 1100T (3.3GHz) AM3, Retail (Black Edition)

Video Card | Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card

Memory | 2xSuper Talent DDR3-1333 4GB/256x8 Samsung Chip Memory

Hard Drive |
Seagate ST2000DL003 2TB SATA3 5900rpm 64MB NCQ Hard Drive
| Super Talent 2.5 inch 120GB UltraDrive MX SATA2 Solid State Drive (MLC)

Case | Antec Six Hundred V2 No Power Supply Mid Tower Gaming Case

CPU Cooler | ARCTIC COOLING Freezer XTREME Rev. 2 CPU Fan

GPU Cooler | Antec VCool Expansion Slot VGA Cooler

Power Supply - Here is the problem. I can't choose between the two. Here are the links : Coolmax CU 700B & iMicro IM750W

What country are you buying parts from? Those PSUs are crap compared to most other brands, but if it's all you have, then that's what you've got.

If you're just gaming, pass on the 6-core and go for a Phenom II x4 955 and overclock it.

Can you get better hard drives? That 2TB is a slow drive, and that SSD is ~ok, but there are ones out there with better controllers.

G

First, can you show me the good PSUs? and WHY X4 instead of X6 for gaming?

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

the x6 wont be a lot behind as its a black edition which means its still quite easy to oc, 4ghz wont be a problem but if a x4 955 or a 1055t is around for a lot cheaper then i would go for them as you wont be sacrificing much performance. as boiler says the psu is kind of crap and if you can, antecs offer better quality and you could swap the 2tb for a faster 1tb and save money while getting more performance unless you really need the extra space

G

Thx megadelayed but I found a better psu.... CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold. As for the Hard Drive, I got a 1TB 7200RPM one.

G

And for the X6... I'm going for the Bulldozer, so not big difference.

G

Iam Hoping to place A bulldozer CPU on the AM3+ ready Asus mobo. But I was wondering, will it work to its fullest potential on this mobo?
What about hypertransport 3.1, is it also dependent on the mobo (which supports HT 3.0)?

Basically I have little need for gaming. But I want as many cores for cheap as I am going to do some specific programming on it during my study.

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Iam Hoping to place A bulldozer CPU on the AM3+ ready Asus mobo. But I was wondering, will it work to its fullest potential on this mobo?
What about hypertransport 3.1, is it also dependent on the mobo (which supports HT 3.0)?

Basically I have little need for gaming. But I want as many cores for cheap as I am going to do some specific programming on it during my study.

where are you going to find bulldozer from i dont think they are out yet but there are am3/am3+ boards that will support bulldozer/llano when it comes out with a bios update

G

Thanx md you've been a huge help. But I was hoping to get one 8-core later when it comes out. I am worried It wont work on this mobo to the fullest. Is that true or is there no reason to be worried :\ ? I can only save up for the cpu (hopefully it will be in the 2600k range).

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Thanx md you've been a huge help. But I was hoping to get one 8-core later when it comes out. I am worried It wont work on this mobo to the fullest. Is that true or is there no reason to be worried :\ ? I can only save up for the cpu (hopefully it will be in the 2600k range).
yea me too im waiting for bulldozer then im deciding wether to get either 2500k or wot ever intel offers better price/performance or get bulldozer 6/8 core

pyoverdin

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

megadelayed, i're willing to pay +700$ on a processor for slight increase in performance, buy intel. However, with the same amount of money you can a PC with 8-core AMD Bulldozer. Your choice.

That's a bit of a gross overstatement. The i5-2500K is the best gaming price vs. performance CPU on the market. It's only $220, can be massively OCed, and outpaces the i7-900s.

Plus, you'll never use all 8-cores of a CPU unless you're running either a server or applications that have been properly coded for it, which is very very few.

pyoverdin

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

First, the bulldozer 8-core is expected to be around $250-$300. So, will you go with the 8-core, or the i5 because you want the CPU for gaming and you won't need the more cores? As far as I know, the 4-core i5 won't be even close to the 8-core Bulldozer in gaming, and if you paid attention I said "$700 PC".
Also I need the extra cores and multiple threads for programming and applications like Rhino, 3D Max..and btw the threads in intel sandy bridge processors give a performance boost from 10%-30%, while reportedly the bulldozer gives a 80% performance boost.

You don't know that. We are all waiting for Bulldozer CPU's and optimized motherboards to ship.

Right now, estimates of BD performance range between good guesses and wishful thinking.

pyoverdin

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

Maybe your right. Anyway I found it in what they called it "Leaked Information", but only time will tell.