Burn In new system questions

hytek9

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
I am sad to say, I have never "Burnt in" any system I have ever owned.

It is not because I didn't know about it, but had no idea how important it is. Also, after thinking about a few questions about this process seems to complicate the situation a bit:

1) Which program or programs are best to use?
2) Which specific tests to execute with that program?
3) What settings should the computer be set to, to give a good burn?
4) How many repetitions of these tests are required until burn is considered complete?

I am hoping there is someone out there that has the knowledge to shed some light on this dark subject to me. I have been able to obviously uncover some bits and peices here and there on the net, but I am looking for something real specific or pointed in the right direction here

sturm

Splendid
I have built quite a few systems and never did a burn in on any of them. I build it let it run in the bios watching the temps. once the temps stabalize at a decent temp I install windows and just use it like normal. Never had any problems.
I dont really see the need to do a burnin unless your going to be overclocking it.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
I totally agree with Sturm.
If you are really set on testing your system then I would download 3DMark06 and loop it 20 or 30 times. This will run very intensive graphic benchmarking tests.

If your PC is ok after that then you won't have any problems :D

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
enlighten me....how important do you think burn in is? Do you think the importance of burn in would differ if the computer were being built entirely out of used components that had been "burnt in" in a previous life?