Question Burn mark on a new RX5700 XFX

Apr 9, 2021
Hi guys,
I bought a new xfx rx5700, the package was sealed but when I inspect the GPU for the first time there was a small burn mark on back of the pcb right above the pcie fingers, I dont know if it works or not, also returning is not an option cause I bought it from aboard. should I check or do anything before connecting it for the first time to avoid any further damage?

Pic: Picture

Apr 9, 2021
Take a photo and post here, if it is a filter cap, it will still work but if it is on the power part, it might not work.

Thank you all guys
Sadly I live in Iran and under the sanctions I have to buy electronics from the smugglers (dont know if you worked with them before or not but they dont have a return policy :)) ).
Im going to place it on a x16 to 1x PCIE riser so I don't need that much of bandwidth for gaming.
The SMD cap is related to the 12th Lane I think, the picture (red rectangular) : Pic

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Thank you all guys
Sadly I live in Iran and under the sanctions I have to buy electronics from the smugglers (dont know if you worked with them before or not but they dont have a return policy :)) ).
The SMD cap is related to the 12th Lane I think, the picture (red rectangular) : Pic
Damn that must suck my dude. I really don't know what to tell you. I imagine you cannot try to put it in another computer to try. IT SHOULDN'T BURN ANYTHING ELSE, but i cannot safely say "yeah go ahead and plug it in, you'll be fine".

I would honestly never plug something with a burn/explosion mark on it in my main computer. As i said probably nothing will happen (just the card not being read by the pci e slot) but if it happens you might risk bigger damages to the motherboard and that would set you back even further. So honestly, if you have an older card, just go with that and see if you can find someone with an old pc that you can test that card first. That's what I'd do.

Reactions: Danial E
Apr 9, 2021
Damn that must suck my dude. I really don't know what to tell you. I imagine you cannot try to put it in another computer to try. IT SHOULDN'T BURN ANYTHING ELSE, but i cannot safely say "yeah go ahead and plug it in, you'll be fine".

I would honestly never plug something with a burn/explosion mark on it in my main computer. As i said probably nothing will happen (just the card not being read by the pci e slot) but if it happens you might risk bigger damages to the motherboard and that would set you back even further. So honestly, if you have an older card, just go with that and see if you can find someone with an old pc that you can test that card first. That's what I'd do.
Yeah probably test it on an old main-board, fingers crossed (y)

Ouch! This is something what can be called as complete f***up. I'm curious are your direct seller ever knew that card is fried. But it can came via con ring where someone pick up RMA-ed hardware and push it to non knowing people as new one. I would still try to RMA this card. Maybe accuse you seller in heresy, your authorities would love that ;)

Im going to place it on a x16 to 1x PCIE riser so I don't need that much of bandwidth for gaming.

Burn marks seems caused by negligent installing or someone accidentally dropped a screwdriver or other metallic thing on PCIe socket (loose screw, probably). And shorted particular PCIe lane. The only possible way how to use this card is to carefully clean burnt place from burn residue and any other possible shorts. This PCI lane is dead, no doubt. But others may still be fine. Don't try to test it on your main computer at first though. Testing on x4 riser in different computers also seems good idea. Also use proper wattage PSU with PCIe 8-pin + PCIe 6-pin cables.