[SOLVED] Burning Smell coming from gpu!!!!

jordanblaze

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
I turned on My Pc This Morning and smell something burning from inside my pc upon further insepection it wwwas coming from my gpu and the gpu fan wasn't working. I took it out and kept on sniffing it to find it was coming from the fan header and I found a lot of dust and a small black ball size of a crumb right next to the header probably something that was burnt and when i went to clean the dust around the header with a cotton swab dipped it alcohol the tip of the swab came out black as if ash was amongst the dust. The gpu is still working and boots as normal but fan isn't working so i can't game or anything heavy. Is it eventually gonna clap out or is it just the fan thats finished?
Gpu: MSI Aero ITX rx 560
mobo: ASROCK b350m hdv
cpu: Ryzen 3 1200

Solution
Sounds like the fan may have shorted out and burnt out one of the traces going to its header. If everything else is still working fine, then you may be ok with just strapping on a fan powered directly from 12V to shove air into the GPU so it doesn't overheat.

Before jerry-rigging the card to get around the dead fan, you may want to check whether it still has warranty coverage.

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
If you are still within the warranty claim you can file an RMA and have the fans replaced. It doesn't matter if you purchased it new or used, most manufacturers today will honor it. I wouldn't run it if you saw a black speck that would most likely indicate something had burned out such as a destroyed transistor or a resistor which will only make your GPU worse over time over prolongued use. Try to contact MSI and give them your GPU serial, I'm sure they will replace it no problem for you, Good luck!

InvalidError

Titan
Sounds like the fan may have shorted out and burnt out one of the traces going to its header. If everything else is still working fine, then you may be ok with just strapping on a fan powered directly from 12V to shove air into the GPU so it doesn't overheat.

Before jerry-rigging the card to get around the dead fan, you may want to check whether it still has warranty coverage.

Solution

jordanblaze

Distinguished
May 18, 2014

If i was still within the warranty i would have to ship it to them right?

jordanblaze

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Probably. If it is a known issue and the manufacturer can't be bothered to repair the cards since the PCB got damaged and needs to be replaced, there is a possibility the manufacturer might just ship a replacement and tell you to do whatever you want with the old card.
I'll try the warranty it would be very difficult and expensive to ship it as I do not live is the U.S but if I were to jerry rig it for the time being could i just strap on a fan or is it best to take out the dead fan THEN strap on a fan?

InvalidError

Titan
I were to jerry rig it for the time being could i just strap on a fan or is it best to take out the dead fan THEN strap on a fan?
Depends on how the fan is attached to the GPU's heatsink and shroud, some are partially integrated and cannot be easily separated. If you can remove the fan without destroying the shroud, then it should help a bit with airflow by removing the obstruction. As for which way the airflow should go, it is usually better to have air exhaust through the rear IO plate when possible, so you would want the fan blowing into the GPU's heatsink.

jordanblaze

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Thanks For the help guys decide to just jerry rig a 80 mm case fan on it and replace the thermal compond and it's running almost 10C° cooler so i guess it was for the best 😁 and when removed the heatsink i got a clear view of the fan header and something did burn out right next to the fan header loked like a transistor or resistor probably because of the dust. From now on I will have to clean my pc monthly.