Aug 28, 2024
This is what it looks like So like 3 months ago i enabled dsr from nvidia control panel to 1440p because of a video i watched and wanted to try it so i enabled it for like 20 minutes and suddenly i saw sparks coming from my computer and it stopped displaying. It turns out the HDMI port on both the gpu and the monitor were burnt, the motherboard. I bought a new motherboard and tried the gpu but it doesnt work so i took it to a “computer repair shop” which only checked the gpu for me using the other displayport ports and it doesnt work. Also i think some of the small things on the gpu motherboard might have got damaged. I thought maybe if i changed the ports or something it might work so anybody help.

Last edited:
This is what it looks like So like 3 months ago i enabled dsr from nvidia control panel to 1440p because of a video i watched and wanted to try it so i enabled it for like 20 minutes and suddenly i saw sparks coming from my computer and it stopped displaying. It turns out the HDMI port on both the gpu and the monitor were burnt, the motherboard. I bought a new motherboard and tried the gpu but it doesnt work so i took it to a “computer repair shop” which only checked the gpu for me using the other displayport ports and it doesnt work. Also i think some of the small things on the gpu motherboard might have got damaged. I thought maybe if i changed the ports or something it might work so anybody help.
I'm sorry friend, that GPU is not going to be repairable. You could maybe see if msi will warranty it if it is still under warranty, but they will likely have a few questions and they may not replace it.

If a computer component is literally charred, that's generally a good sign that it's never working again. Sometimes a professional can repair it, but people with those skills and equipment are few and expensive. Even with them, that sort of damage isn't guaranteed to be repairable and there's decent odds that the charred area isn't the only damage. Burnt PCB is no longer a good insulator and any PCB trace that got hot enough to do that may have melted. PCB traces in the burnt area can be short or open circuited. Unless that's at least a 4070 or similar, I wouldn't even bother trying to find someone to fix it. It won't be worth the cost of trying.

What are the specs of the computer and what do you do with it? Does it boot using integrated graphics or another graphics card?

Aug 28, 2024
If a computer component is literally charred, that's generally a good sign that it's never working again. Sometimes a professional can repair it, but people with those skills and equipment are few and expensive. Even with them, that sort of damage isn't guaranteed to be repairable and there's decent odds that the charred area isn't the only damage. Burnt PCB is no longer a good insulator and any PCB trace that got hot enough to do that may have melted. PCB traces in the burnt area can be short or open circuited. Unless that's at least a 4070 or similar, I wouldn't even bother trying to find someone to fix it. It won't be worth the cost of trying.

What are the specs of the computer and what do you do with it? Does it boot using integrated graphics or another graphics card?
The motherboard i ordered havent arrived yet. The old one is b760 and i paired it with 12400f but i returned both and bought b650 and 7600. The gpu is 3070 ti and the only sign of damage is the one i showed so there is no damage in pcie or anything else, i use it for gaming and general use

Aug 28, 2024
I'm sorry friend, that GPU is not going to be repairable. You could maybe see if msi will warranty it if it is still under warranty, but they will likely have a few questions and they may not replace it.
And i have another question, it might seem stupid but can i still connect the gpu even if it doesnt work and use integrated graphics because it will probably look ugly without a gpu

Any of the chips like the GPU chip itself, memory chips, or power management chips can be damaged or completely destroyed inside and not show it visibly.

Connecting a damaged device is a bad idea, it can lead to more damage and even damage other things in the computer if they aren't faulty already. That the computer will look empty or ugly while you wait for a replacement video card shouldn't be a major concern after a component literally had an electrical fire.

When something like this happens, it's often better to give up on fixing the computer and buy a replacement for it. Does the monitor work at all?