Business Networking Problems :(

m3golmaal

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hi, everyone. Firstly, I would like to say that I am a big fan of Tom's Hardware! I have never posted anything on the forum, but I am a long time reader.

Before I ask my question, I want to give some background info. I am currently helping my parents out in our family business which is a small hotel (only 60 rooms). I wanted to know what the best way to network this property for hardwired computer terminals, shared printers, guest computers, and guest wireless access.

I currently have a business DSL line active from my ISP leading to the modem. From the modem I have a 5-port Linksys wired router that is a hub for Office Computer #1, Office Computer #2, Office Computer #3, the Network Printer, and the last port is dedicated to a secondary Netgear RangeMax WIRELESS router. The reason I choose to setup my network (if this is correct) is that I now have two sets of IP addresses. The first set (the Linksys wired router) has a 192.XXX.XXX.XXX and the second (the Netgear wireless router) has a 292.XXX.XXX.XXX. My cousin (who helped me out during all of this) is actually the person that advised me to setup the network this way. He said having two completely different sets of IP addresses will deter many network attackers away. So, that is why it is what it is.

Sounds flawless, right? Wrong. The problem that I am now facing is that the guest computer that is located in the main lobby needs a solid connection, the single Netgear wireless router doesn't transmit a signal strong enough to cover the entirety of the property leaving areas with no Internet at all, I still have to figure out a way to send a wired connection to our surveillance system's DVR, and I am still unsure of how to monitor and regulate the network efficiently. In addition, because this is a business and money is involved, I am concerned about network security.

I know that this is asking for a lot, but at the same token, I am the type of person that would rather tackle a problem independently (and also having the satisfaction) versus hiring a commercial networking company to do all the work (and charge an arm and a leg for it), and I know that this online community has more than enough knowledge and talent to help me make it happen. So, there it is! Can someone give me advice on the best approach to networking a hotel?

Thanks,
J.

curtains

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
You can hardwire more than 1 wireless router in multiple area so that the signal covers all the areas you want it to, and best way to do it is get wireless routers that can be set to signal repeaters mode that way your not connecting to a different network every time u change locations.

Get a commercial 24 port switch or a few if you need more than 24. or you can get 48 port etc what ever number though they are quite expensive starting from about $200ish for decent ones, and hard wire them to the rooms.

Use a different workgroups for your private use and put a password on it.

I'd personally run cables to all of your networking equipment, have the central switch in the office in a box or something so you can easily see whats gone down etc.

Though for a business I think its best to get a professional to do it all.

m3golmaal

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

Thank you so much for the advice! That's exactly what I needed; just a rough draft. Now I'm going to do a bit more research before I start purchasing equipment, but I will keep this thread updated with progress. Yeah, I know professional installation would be better but I really want to try it my way.

Thanks again,
J.