[SOLVED] buy 3080 or keep 2080 super

Adonys112

Reputable
May 26, 2020
I was wondering, i got an 2080 super recently and i really love it, every game works fine on 1080p above 60fps for sure but now that 3080 launch i was wondering, should i just sell my video card and add some more money and buy that or just keep my brand new 2080 super, the new things like DLSS 2.0 and some say that ray tracing works better and all that, but when i bought mine it wasnt that cheap and now getting a new one seems kinda soon. Just need some advice cuz i might start selling it now then.

Solution
I was wondering, i got an 2080 super recently and i really love it, every game works fine on 1080p above 60fps for sure but now that 3080 launch i was wondering, should i just sell my video card and add some more money and buy that or just keep my brand new 2080 super, the new things like DLSS 2.0 and some say that ray tracing works better and all that, but when i bought mine it wasnt that cheap and now getting a new one seems kinda soon. Just need some advice cuz i might start selling it now then.

A 2080 Super is more than enough for 1080p gaming. If you are willing to upgrade to an expensive new GPU twice in a short period of time, I would recommend that you upgrade your monitor first.

DLSS 2.0 is already available with...
If I was going to stay at 1080p I wouldn't buy the card because I don't think it's going to get you much. If you were going up to 1440p or 4k it would make more sense.

Reactions: Phaaze88

KawaTom

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
I see a lot of 2080 super and ti on the used marked in my home. Many are asking 8-900$ for the ti but i also so a lot of wanting to buy 2080ti but thay write that 3-400$ is max they want ti give for it becouse of the price and spec on 3070. I have put out a wanting to buy 2080ti but i will not pay more then 300$ for a used 2080ti when i can get a brand new unopend 3070 next month for 550$ tax included and shipping from a dealer. I dont expect to get any deals but this is the max im gona stretch.

This is for my brothers PC. I have a 2070 super and just have taken a loss to

Reactions: Phaaze88
There is no guarantee when the 3080 will become generally available.
Past that, early adopters are going to add a price premium for the card.
I think you would best stick with the RTX2080 Super that you have since it is doing your job now.

If by chance, the RTX2080 super is from EVGA, they have a free 90 day trade up option is you wanted something stronger.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Your card is capable of dighing out 144fps to match your gaming monitors refresh rate. You can play all AAA titles at 1440p 2k resolutioon with graphics set to high or ultra high with all nVidia panel settings maxed out and turn on AA methods and you will see no jaggioes just a smooth gaming performance. If you want to suddenly jump to a 3080 then what are you going to do when the 4080 comes out. TLDR 🖐😒🤷‍♀️💯

Going from your 2080 to a 3080 is not a big upgrade like dropping in a beefy CPU for a really old one. If you want to game at 4k and that is your reason for wanting to switch as that should be your only reason I would say you will get your 4k @ 60fps but that will not match your monitors 144hz. The game will not be as smooth. Now if you get a 3080 and play at 2k resolution with all nvidia panels turned on for free and game settings to ultra then your really not going to see any performance improvement unless you have a FPS counter. Once your monitor is pay sync or freesync when the framerate drops to say 90fps it will still provide smooth butter like performance without micro stutters or hitching. 👍✌👌💯

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019

get the 3080 , you will be able to play with full raytracing enabled and ULTRA details and above 60 fps in FHD.

A 2080 Super is more than enough for 1080p gaming. If you are willing to upgrade to an expensive new GPU twice in a short period of time, I would recommend that you upgrade your monitor first.

DLSS 2.0 is already available with your 2080 Super, it is not a new feature.

Solution
You could even downgrade significantly and you'd be playing games fine at 1080p. I would only upgrade for 4K 60 or higher fps. Heck even the RTX 2080 Super still does a good job at 4K. If you don't start playing at 1440p I'd consider the RTX 2080 Super a waste. At 1080p more performance is just redundant.