Buy Cheap Blower Style GTX 1080 Ti or Multifan, Case Air Flow issues

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
I can get a ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti for 530 but its a blower style card as you can see. I've heard they are good for cases with bad airflow.

Mine would fall under that category. It's ENERMAX iVektor ECA3310A. Pic of inside of my build is below. I have a 290 Vapor X and playing Witcher for 20 mins in the Texas summer gives me 90 degs. would you recommend getting this 1080 Ti or wait it out for prices to get lower for a multi fan one. I hate blowers being so noisy and I'd imagine this would run hot. But it would also appear that because of my case a multi fan system won't do me any good?

Or should I try and add additional fans to my system. And if so where. There are two options for the top of the case.

I also want to use my backup GTX 470 for Nvidiaworks which I think is still doable unless Nvidia disabled it? This is to help offload the load on the 1080 Ti. Display is qa 4K 3D HDR OLED TV. and my CPU is an i7 930 @ 3.8Ghz

a8s45Iw.jpg

stdragon

Admirable
I much prefer multifan GPUs. They're easier to clean, and offer a bit of redundancy if the event of a single fan failure.

While they're more quite, unfortunately, they don't throw the heat outside the case, so you'll want to ensure you have good airflow in the case from front to back.

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018

Yeah it doesn't seem like my case has good flow giving the alarming temp of the VaporX. How can I fix this in my case. These are my options
o6t4lyu.jpg

stdragon

Admirable
You definitely want PWM fans to be sure. Also, airflow should move as indicated - Intake in the front, exhaust in the back. Top exhaust is optional, but if your temps are hot inside, go ahead and add fans there too.

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018

You mean go ahead and add top exhaust fans? I thought top was supposed to push air into the case into the pathway of the CPU fan? When you say PWM fans what are those?

And since the case is hot inside, I'm guessing you'd opt for the multi fan setup?

stdragon

Admirable
Your components are generating heat. You want to to be moving as much cool outside air through the case as possible, and then exhaust it.

PWM based fans have four wires. Standard DC type fans only have three. Your MB should have four-pin fan header connectors on them.

And yes, I would be exhausting the air from inside the case and back out the top.

Note: Be sure you have enough fan headers on the MB. Otherwise, you might need to purchase an adapter that can power and control additional fans.

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018

what is the advantage of a PWM fan? It would also seem that I'd need to replace all my fans with high powered ones especially the front intake fans

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018

Thanks! I've heard some say my i7 930 at 3.8 Ghz wont be sufficient. I think it would be at 4K with minimal bottleneck, what do you think?

stdragon

Admirable
It's an 8 year old processor. It's alright, but yeah, you're looking at upgrading soon as the components on the MB will start to breakdown sooner or later.

You can upgrade the Video Card now if you want. But again, at some point you'll want to be replacing the CPU, MB, and RAM. Possibly the PSU if it's just as old.

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018

Do you think 1080 Ti SC for 520 is a good deal or should I wait till 1180 to see if I can get a better version of a 1080 Ti for that price area?

stdragon

Admirable
Given the age of your computer, and the fact it's unknown when you plan on upgrading your base configuration...yeah, I'd say holdout for a 1080 Ti as prices would ostensibly drop once the 1180 gets released to market.

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018

Unfortunately jumped the gun on it and made offer on Ebay. I'm gonna see if the seller will let me cancel

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018

Do you think buying fans for all fan places will help or a new case? Tbh I don't see how much better a different case can be unless you have recommendations.

I'm eyeing this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186197