buy graphic card

tsobd

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003
what is the real diference between a radeon 9700, a 9800 and a fx5900??? to program any graphics aplication, with vertex and pixel shader what are the differences??? and what about athlon64, i must wait for it or buy a athlonXP without worry about it comes obsolete very soon. thanks...

cleeve

Illustrious
- The 9700 PROis the first 256 bit, 8 pipe, DirectX 9 video card. It still rocks.

- The 9800 is a slightly optimized and overclockled 9700 PRO. It rocks harder, but if you have a 9700 PRO it isn't worth the upgrade.

- The GeforceFX 5900 ULTRA is Nvidia's 4-pipe, 256 bit video card. It's DirectX 9 shaders are weaker than the 9700 and 9800 video cards, so it does very well in DirectX 7/8 titles (most of todays games), but does relatively poorly in DirectX 9 titles (upcoming games like Half Life 2) compared to the 9700/9800

- The AthlonXP still offers decent performance for the money if you're upgrading from, say, a CPU below 2 Ghz. But if you currently have a CPU above 2 Ghz, I wouldn't bother with the AthlonXP. It's quickly becoming an obsolete platform and won't have any cpu's above 3200+ I reckon... not to mention the AthlonXP 3200+ is overrated.

You're better off getting an Athlon64, or better yet an AthlonFX because the Athlon64 platform will be changed to a different socket soon, but the AthlonFX socket should be in use for some time yet, as it's the same as the opteron socket. (I think)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Everything is obsolete. Athlon XP is obsolete, and most of the boards supporting the Athlon 64 will be obsolete in a few months.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Exactly.

Socket 939 where are you?

Hello my little Mushkin Munchkin, where are you?

:eek:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

tsobd

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003
thanks for the information, specialy to cleever, and i have another question, what about the instability of the radeon 9000 series cards on windowsXP?

cleeve

Illustrious
I've built 2 computers for friends using the Radeon 9000 and 9000 PRO with win XP and I have never seen any problems with them.

agreed i helped a friedn put a 9000p in his computer last month and he has cpomplained about any problems yet(he is running xp btw)

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apostalic Alcoholic.}=-</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PhukFace on 12/02/03 04:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>