Buy new or replace

Jul 28, 2018
My 3.0 and 2.0 usb port is damaged on the front of my case. I'm planning an upgrade over the next year. I'm not using it now nor do I think I'm gonna need it considering I have more bbn ports in the rear. So here it is. Replace the port on my current case. Or buy a new case?

Solution
I guess the first step would be to contact the manufacture and find out if the replacement part is even available and if so, what the cost is if it's not under warranty.

Assuming that it is, it's probably a bit cheaper to go that route but I'd question whether replacing a part that shouldn't have failed in the first place with the same part is a worthwhile gamble, or whether you would be better off just buying a higher quality case that won't have similar issues.

People rarely consider the quality of the small parts like mini-boards and USB ports that come with cases, but the fact is, cheap case usually equals cheap integrated components as well so buying trusted case brands and better models tends to make sense if you want things to...
I guess the first step would be to contact the manufacture and find out if the replacement part is even available and if so, what the cost is if it's not under warranty.

Assuming that it is, it's probably a bit cheaper to go that route but I'd question whether replacing a part that shouldn't have failed in the first place with the same part is a worthwhile gamble, or whether you would be better off just buying a higher quality case that won't have similar issues.

People rarely consider the quality of the small parts like mini-boards and USB ports that come with cases, but the fact is, cheap case usually equals cheap integrated components as well so buying trusted case brands and better models tends to make sense if you want things to last a while, or in some cases even work right from the start.

If they were damaged by you, that's a different story. Maybe consider a case where the placement of those ports are in a location that won't be a prone to the same or similar damage.

Solution