[SOLVED] Buying a new monitor, 100, 120 or 144 Hz?

Ryan_160

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016
Hello,

My current setup; a 5700 XT and a i7 6700k with 32Gb ram, seems to run most games at +/- 100 fps on average settings.
(Currently playing a lot of dead by daylight((Capped at 60 fps)), CoD modern warfare and the division 2.)

I've recently been looking for new a new monitor. But one thing I still can't seem to find a unified answer on is:

When searching for a new monitor, I would like it to be a 3440x1440p monitor, a lot of which are 100Hz and some are 144Hz. The latter of which often obviously more expensive.

My question is: Keeping in mind that I almost never really get to 144 fps, how much of a difference will having a 144 Hz monitor make in comparison to a 100 or 120 Hz monitor?
Will it have benefits or maybe just downsides? Aside from the obvious part where a 100Hz monitor is often less expensive.
Is it for example more beneficial to go for a IPS screen with 100Hz or a VA screen with 144Hz when only getting to 100 Fps?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you can't get fps too 144 then no point in having a 144 hz monitor, unless you plan on upgrading in the future. But you can always turn down settings to boost FPS, in competitive shooters. Something to consider.

As for IPS / VA, its not wise to speak in generalities.

Find the two monitors you are considering and look for in depth reviews of the two, from guys like Hardware Unboxed who measure contrast ratios, input lag, etc. Then make your decision. VA technology has come a long way, and can vary greatly from one monitor too another.

larsv8

Distinguished
If you can't get fps too 144 then no point in having a 144 hz monitor, unless you plan on upgrading in the future. But you can always turn down settings to boost FPS, in competitive shooters. Something to consider.

As for IPS / VA, its not wise to speak in generalities.

Find the two monitors you are considering and look for in depth reviews of the two, from guys like Hardware Unboxed who measure contrast ratios, input lag, etc. Then make your decision. VA technology has come a long way, and can vary greatly from one monitor too another.

Solution