News Buying a New Monitor Is the Best PC Upgrade Right Now

docbones69

Commendable
Sep 11, 2019
I would love to, but monitors are also still slow in their upgrade cycle. The selection is very poor. Trying to find a 4k IPS HDR 600 32" or larger monitor is hard. Ones that are out dont yet have hdmi 2.1 and / or are very expensive.

veldrane2

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
It is definetly a horrible time to buy a monitor. If you buy one you'll be stuck on lower rez or lower refresh or smaller size, and not just by a little, by heaps and bounds.

We've been stuck on 27 inchers or without any decent HBR3 capabilities for a really long time, as monitors seem to evolve a lot slower then other hardware.

Pesonally I have been on 27", 2k wide for better part of the decade already and would really like to make the jump to something like 30-35", 4k, 120-144 Hz and can't. There is literally nothing for me to upgrade to.

Better to wait well until next year, maybe by the time the new monitors come out the rtx 3xxx series and the rx 6xxx series cards along with the CPUs and some decent mobo revisions, if not models, will be available.

The monitor manufacturers have completely dropped the ball on 4k hardware, even moreso then GPU manufacturers with their availability woes.

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
When the mainstream GPU (not the top dog) could do 4K@240Hz at max/ultra setting with ease then the monitor manufacturer will catch up. If the lion's share of GPU only could do 1080p@120Hz at max/ultra setting, then they won't be bothered.

Co BIY

Splendid
I agree with this article! A bigger better (bigger) monitor is a great improvement and easily the biggest bang for the buck for your computer experience.

That assumes you are running an SSD for your OS drive. If not get an SSD first and then a monitor.

TRENDING THREADS