Question Buying a system

graywolfthegreat

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018
I am throwing this in the dark but is it better to buy a cheap gaming desktop around like $200 or more and upgrade it? Or go ahead and buy a laptop. I'm kinda leaning on the desktop, due to price. I can't afford a laptop because I don't want to pay $1000 dollar on one. I save about $100 a month and it would take a year or more to do this. So that is why I ask about this. Laptop or Desktop? BTW which one would be cheaper? Are desktops lower in price than laptops? And would it be cheaper to buy a desktop and upgrade it one component at a time?

If you need portability, then buy a laptop.
Spend what you need; laptops are not very upgradeable for cpu or display.
You get more for your money as a rule with desktops.

Desktops have many upgrade options.
The most usual upgrade will be the graphics card.
Do not go cheap on the psu, buy one that will handle a gpu upgrade.

Consider carefully the monitor purchase.
Monitors are relevant for a long time.
Bust your budget for a good one..

Sounds to me like you need to save up a bit.

Reactions: graywolfthegreat
Be careful about just "buying a desktop".

Some of them are not very compatible with upgrading after the initial purchase because they often use parts that are proprietary rather than industry-standard. Particularly the motherboard and power supply.

If you would like to keep the same case and continually upgrade it over a period of several years (5, 10?), you are best advised to build your own using industry-standard parts.

If you can't build it yourself, you descend closer to "appliance land". Use it as you bought it until it breaks down, then buy another new one. Some people are OK with that.

You might be able to find a store that will assemble a PC from parts you choose.

USAFRet

Titan
His budget is $200 so he can't afford a new gaming PC.
As recommended, save up some money.

Almost every day, we see a question here about 'upgrading' a 'desktop PC'.
Like a Dell Optiplex or similar HP.
Only to find out that it isn't really upgradeable.

The PSU and motherboard are proprietary, and only work with each other.
A better GPU needs a new PSU. Which you can't do on its own.
A better CPU needs a new motherboard. And probably RAM. And the PSU.

Buying a low end 'desktop' puts him that much farther away from the actual goal.

TRENDING THREADS