Question Buying a used 30" 16x10 monitor - Dell vs HP

Bellzemos

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a used (but with 1yr warranty) 30" monitor with 2560x1600 resolution (16x10 ratio). I will be doing gaming (GTX 1080), work (Excel...), music production (large screen comes in handy), watching movies etc., I don't need suuuper accurate colors as I'm not a photographer. But I'd like a screen which is not too bad for my eyes.

Only two 30" monitors are available as a choice in this special offer for me, a Dell and a HP. I'm thinking of getting the DELL U3014t. I had Dell monitors before (24") and liked them. An alternative is the HP Z30i monitor.

If anyone of you has a 30" 16x10 monitor, perhaps even the Dell Ultrasharp or the HP in question, please do tell how do you like them. Also, is it recommendable to buy a used monitor? What to watch out for?

And also, do you know what the "t" in the U3040t standts for? I can't find that info anywhere.

Thank you!

crystalcity

Proper
Dec 5, 2018
I just picked up an 'other brand' old used 30" and coming from mostly using 24's its great as far as screen real estate. Can't comment on brand. Also picked up some 27's recently. As far as size, highly recommend a 30" if you can find a cheap one. IMO the extra height is nice versus the 1440p 27's.

I can't remember the last time I bought a new monitor. So far so good. Can't beat 5 to 10% of msrp when folks move on the next greatest thing.

All my monitors have been used, except my latest one, a 4k Dell Ultrasharp which was a whitebox Dell factory return I traded for, which was technically "new" although likely a very clear refurb.

As long as you can see the screen in person, no issues at all getting a used screen.