Question Buying advice: x86 SBC with modest processing capabilities, fanless, for $250 or less

mpdos

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
Hello,

I'm looking for a SBC with an Intel-compatible processor, 8GB or more of RAM, and available in a fanless configuration (preferably with some kind of a case). It doesn't need to be particularly potent, it will be used for web browsing, word processing, and some occasional gaming (mostly with titles over 10 years old).

I'm out-of-touch with recent processor generations, persistent storage technologies and RAM varieties, so I thought I'd ask for advice about the kind of specifications I might look out for - or better still, links to pre-built machines that would meet my needs.

I'm hoping to spend no more than $250. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
You could also consider this tower computer, it's less than US$100. I've purchased 3 over the years. I also purchased, for US$10, the additional 2 years of warranty. One originally came with an SSD drive, but that drive was a knock off and died early on.

This might be a downside, it only has VGA video. I'm using them as headless computers. I bought a small US$30 monitor for the rare times I seriously crash them.

Reactions: mpdos

mpdos

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
Thank you Ivt and OldSurferDude, very appreciative of these practical options, I'll investigate both. seems it might be a good idea to re-think my original, narrow, proposal.