Question Buying advise ASUS MG278Q or LG 27GL850 or AORUS AD27QD

domisan756

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2013
Hi all,

I'm on the verge of buying a new monitor and I have spent days online reading reviews, but I'm stuck making a final decision on one of three specific monitors. I spent my time 50/50 on gaming and general browsing and I'm not a pro or competitive gamer. I do enjoy FPS and RPG games as a pleasant way to spent my free time.

The monitors
  • ASUS MG278Q TN - Receives overal good comments as one of the best TN panels
  • LG Ultragear 27GL850 IPS - Seems to be talked about a lot with good comments as well
  • Gigabyte Aorus AD27QD IPS - Found one website which had put this monitor squarly above the LG 27GL850 ... but otherwise not often mentioned

How I selected those monitors
- They are officially GSync compatible... I have an Nvidia card now, but I don't want to be tied up.

Does anyone have experience with these models?

Thanks

RTings.com is a good place to go for monitor/TV reviews. The do a lot of reviews and are pretty thorough.

Don't get too hung up on "GSync Compatible" certification. All FreeSync monitors with a DisplayPort input are variable refresh rate compatible with Nvidia GPUs. Once you're in 120Hz+ land, the only thing getting in the way of monitors qualifying for GSync Compatible are being able to get Nvidia to actually test and add them to their list ($$ please) and to have VRR enabled on the monitor settings by default out of the box.

I only browsed the spec sheets for each monitor. You've kind-of got 3 distinct price brackets listed here.

IMO, you can get very good 27" 1440P 144Hz FreeSync monitors for $350-$450 (USA).

domisan756

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2013
RTings.com is a good place to go for monitor/TV reviews. The do a lot of reviews and are pretty thorough.

Don't get too hung up on "GSync Compatible" certification. All FreeSync monitors with a DisplayPort input are variable refresh rate compatible with Nvidia GPUs. Once you're in 120Hz+ land, the only thing getting in the way of monitors qualifying for GSync Compatible are being able to get Nvidia to actually test and add them to their list ($$ please) and to have VRR enabled on the monitor settings by default out of the box.

I only browsed the spec sheets for each monitor. You've kind-of got 3 distinct price brackets listed here.

IMO, you can get very good 27" 1440P 144Hz FreeSync monitors for $350-$450 (USA).

Hi,

I have indeed spent lots of time of RTings, they're the ones who put the Aorus in front of the LG.

I have to disagree with the GSync compatible statement however, there's a good site out there where they have tested Freesync screens with Nvidia GPU's and many (or most) of the non-compatible ones exhibit unwanted side effects.

Chears.