buying first guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allensky

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
So Ive been browsing guitar centers wares and came across a guitar, one my friend has, with good reviews and something id be interested in actually learning to play. Theres one problem though unfortunately; the shipping is way too much. While in checkout the shipping was 200 dollars just for one guitar and the guitar itself is worth around 200. My friend has the same guitar so I have held the equipment and like the weight and the sound. Is this the usual shipping prices for guitars or do you think it was a glitch? Honestly I feel that its an insane amount and If I ship to the store it goes down to 69 dollars which seems reasonable.

Solution
Hi,
what store are you using when they are charging you $200 for shipping? This is not normal.
Usually its around $10 if youre in the US or sometimes free. I have been playing the guitar
for over 25 years, i would heartily reccomend the Affinity series by Squier. This is a Fender
owned brand but made in the far east in either China or Indonesia. It costs about $199.
There are cheaper Squers out there but dont as the quailty isnt great.

Even if you could afford it i would not reccomend getting a US made Fender or Gibson as a
starter guitar as you dont want to damage them, get it stolen or whatever when your taking
it to your friends house for a jam, you'll be worried when someone picks it up and starts
twanging away on your...

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Buy a used guitar and get someone who knows guitars to check it out for you. You can get some killer deals like that, a nice gibson or strat (non mexican) for a steal that could even make it profitable to sell.

hargos

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Hi,
what store are you using when they are charging you $200 for shipping? This is not normal.
Usually its around $10 if youre in the US or sometimes free. I have been playing the guitar
for over 25 years, i would heartily reccomend the Affinity series by Squier. This is a Fender
owned brand but made in the far east in either China or Indonesia. It costs about $199.
There are cheaper Squers out there but dont as the quailty isnt great.

Even if you could afford it i would not reccomend getting a US made Fender or Gibson as a
starter guitar as you dont want to damage them, get it stolen or whatever when your taking
it to your friends house for a jam, you'll be worried when someone picks it up and starts
twanging away on your $1000++ baby. Even second hand these guitars are not cheap
since USA made guitars are considered the best (with good reason) and theyre are always
buyers willing to pay top dollar for them even if they are in bad shape. Somtimes the worse
shape they are in the better for some collectors...seriously.

If you like the Gibson style guitars go for Epiphone instead and if your more into metal i
would suggest something more contemporary such as Jackson, LTD or Ibanez, you can
pick these up brand new from $150.

My personal recomendation would be Squier Affinity Stratocaster or Jackson JS22, two very
differnet looking and sounding guitars. I own both of these entry level guitars (and about 6
others) and you will be shocked how good they are for the money. Plus they are fully
upgradable when it comes to tone circuits and pickups.

One you have decided the time is right then you should upgrade and get something better
even if you want to take the leap into US made or even Custom Shop, but dont make this
your only guitar as snotty kids will always want to go on it when youre in a band or even
just jamming, you need to keep this locked away where it is safe and only you get to play
it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-affinity-series-stratocaster-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-js22-dinky-dka-electric-guitar

i have not bought from this store and have never dealt with them so cannot reccomend i
am just showing you whats out there, they do free shipping to 48 US states and i can say
they are competitively priced.

Also another tip before i go is if you see a guitar in a store you like, note the model
number, go home and check out youtube for a review of it. You hear what it sounds like
and what people think, although not all people reviewing stuff on youtube are experts.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.