Buying 'malfunctional' graphics card?

0r4ngenm4ul

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
Hello Tom's Hardware community,
I was wondering if it's worth it risking to buy a 'malfunctional' graphics card. I mean, isn't the chance higher that the seller is wrong and just one connector/cable isn't working than that the GPU or memory is just dead? From what I have read, graphics cards last very, very long. My dad's 8600 GT is also still functional, and it was used for five years without any problem.
By the way, that would be a R9 270 for around 20€ which would replace my GT 740. Wouldn't be a too big waste of money if it would be malfunctional.

Solution
as a toy, project, on a decent cheap price, i would buy it

if i really really need it, no, chances are it is really bad and won't work at all

the price seems to be good and you still have a plan b, sounds like a possibility, it is your decision in the end

remember that might need a reflow of some soldiering points, the most usual problem with gpus, have you seen linus cooking a gpu in a oven?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xanr4jkmEc

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
depends on the price.
One time I bought some lot of ipod touch back in the day. The seller swears that there were no water damage and all you need is to charge them...
well I was lucky ifixit told me how to change batteries. To this day one side of ipod touch 2 cannot control volume and only the left side has sound via speaker. only. that ipod touch refuses to charge even after battery replacement.

so If it were under 50 bucks, why not?

Depends on how the seller described malfunction. For example, I have 8800 GT that works fine in 2D but crashes in 3D games. This description gives you clear info, and you know what to expect. If seller just mentioned that card is 'malfunctional', it really tells you nothing. You are making a blind bet here.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
as a toy, project, on a decent cheap price, i would buy it

if i really really need it, no, chances are it is really bad and won't work at all

the price seems to be good and you still have a plan b, sounds like a possibility, it is your decision in the end

remember that might need a reflow of some soldiering points, the most usual problem with gpus, have you seen linus cooking a gpu in a oven?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xanr4jkmEc

Solution