Question Buzzing ir cracking sound after slowly switching off the PSU

SilverPigtail

Commendable
Nov 2, 2020
Hi people,

Today I was preparing myself for a trip and I decided for turn off the psu of my PC (BitFenix 850w plus gold). By accident, I switched it slowly instead of fast as usual and I heard a buzzing sound coming from it. Scared, I turned on the pc and everything was working fine.

I could recreate the same issue by turning off the psu slowly. Is this sound normal? Could this sound damage my PC?

Have a nice day!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Switches should be quick.

What happens with a "slow switch" is that arcing with noise and sparks can occur.

Electrons traveling through air from one contact to the other. Like lightning and the buzz being sort of mini-thunder....

The arcing eventualy erodes the metals.

So the objective is a quick metal to metal connection or disconnection to reduce arcing.

Hopefully no harm.

Now that you know that the switch can be "slow" just be sure to flip it on or off with a bit more effort and quickness.

Reactions: SilverPigtail

SilverPigtail

Commendable
Nov 2, 2020
You should be fine...though next time, be sure to confidently turn the rocker switch to the off position, swiftly.
Switches should be quick.

What happens with a "slow switch" is that arcing with noise and sparks can occur.

Electrons traveling through air from one contact to the other. Like lightning and the buzz being sort of mini-thunder....

The arcing eventualy erodes the metals.

So the objective is a quick metal to metal connection or disconnection to reduce arcing.

Hopefully no harm.

Now that you know that the switch can be "slow" just be sure to flip it on or off with a bit more effort and quickness.
Then, there's nothing to worry about and it's common to all psu?

As said, everything was working fine after that. I'm a bit worried about the other components.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There's no reason to spend time worrying about it. If something happened, it's already happened, and there would be nothing you could do about it at this point. If nothing happened, then nothing happened, and you can just avoid doing this again.