Question Bypassing an ARUBA router to control the LAN IP addresses?

ineuw01

Prominent
Apr 13, 2023
In our community room, the ISP installed an ARUBA 4 port commercial router with 200/200mb bi-directional traffic, by cable or Wi-Fi.

This was a gift to the community by the ISP, and changes cannot be asked for, or expected. I have no access to the router to assign fixed IP addresses to our equipment, because Aruba's business model is a paid service.

My concern is if another router like a Smart/RG, etc. can handle these speeds? We don't want to lose their high quality Wi-Fi.

I see two possibilities:

1. Replace the router, use the same LAN IP and hope that the ISP will not.
2. Add another router to one of the ARUBA ports for the fixed IP addresses on cable, but disable the WiFi of the 2nd router.

Any suggestions? Please.

kanewolf

Titan
In our community room, the ISP installed an ARUBA 4 port commercial router with 200/200mb bi-directional traffic, by cable or Wi-Fi.

This was a gift to the community by the ISP, and changes cannot be asked for, or expected. I have no access to the router to assign fixed IP addresses to our equipment, because Aruba's business model is a paid service.

My concern is if another router like a Smart/RG, etc. can handle these speeds? We don't want to lose their high quality Wi-Fi.

I see two possibilities:

1. Replace the router, use the same LAN IP and hope that the ISP will not.
2. Add another router to one of the ARUBA ports for the fixed IP addresses on cable, but disable the WiFi of the 2nd router.

Any suggestions? Please.
200Mbit is not a significant challenge for most routers. You probably should be asking some different questions...
How many clients does this network support? A community room might have room for 20 people or 200. That is different hardware.
Does this router supply network to other areas?
If you add another router, who is responsible for support?
Does this Aruba router supply WIFI (my guess is yes), then you have to contend with WIFI interference.
Does "our equipment" need to be isolated from the general use network ?
Can "our equipment" function with double NAT ?
Just a few ideas off the top of my head ...

You pretty much have to change the configuration on aruba router or replace it in some way.

The aruba router thinks it owns all the IP addresses on the lan subnet. It has to know somehow that you assigned fixed IP or it might reassign the same IP. The aruba router must assign these if you need them to be assigned to say a mac adderss or it needs to ignore them if you are manually going to configure them on some device.

If you add a second router then both will attempt to give out the same IP addresses.

Best is to try to find a way to configure the aruba router this is a extremely common thing to do.