Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2019
I’m going to study computer science and I want to learn how to code. I know I have to get familiar with C++, Java and Python but which one should I focus on more? Is one better then the others?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Once you learn one, it is just syntax. C/C++/C#/Objective C is used in a lot of things for all kinds of applications. Oracle is starting to charge people for Java, so I expect an exodus to other languages soon. Python and its variants are everywhere these days.

When you show up for your first job, they aren't going to expect perfection. It takes a while to get used to any codebase, any product, and any workplace. The point of education is to learn a foundation.

Jun 10, 2019
Once you learn one, it is just syntax. C/C++/C#/Objective C is used in a lot of things for all kinds of applications. Oracle is starting to charge people for Java, so I expect an exodus to other languages soon. Python and its variants are everywhere these days.

When you show up for your first job, they aren't going to expect perfection. It takes a while to get used to any codebase, any product, and any workplace. The point of education is to learn a foundation.
Ok thanks I’ll stick to C++ as I’ve started learning it

Ghgore

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
ghgore.com
Every language is good for different things, and has it pros and cons. They're more like tools that each have their own uses.

On that note, I personally think Python is the easiest of those choices because it doesn't require you to use semicolons, and there are some other things that make it nice for beginners.

But if you're interested in game development most game engines use C++, so it'd be better to learn that language so you could have a goal in mind of what you want to do once you learn the language.

Java is also good if you're interested in writing Android applications, or maybe modding Minecraft.

So like I said each language has it's own use, and it's worth looking into what you're interested in doing with programming and deciding a language based on that. Also like Eximo said once you learn one language it's easier to learn others, since they're all based on C, and have the same fundamentals because of that.

Jun 10, 2019
Every language is good for different things, and has it pros and cons. They're more like tools that each have their own uses.

On that note, I personally think Python is the easiest of those choices because it doesn't require you to use semicolons, and there are some other things that make it nice for beginners.

But if you're interested in game development most game engines use C++, so it'd be better to learn that language so you could have a goal in mind of what you want to do once you learn the language.

Java is also good if you're interested in writing Android applications, or maybe modding Minecraft.

So like I said each language has it's own use, and it's worth looking into what you're interested in doing with programming and deciding a language based on that. Also like Eximo said once you learn one language it's easier to learn others, since they're all based on C, and have the same fundamentals because of that.
Thank you very much for replying, I will think carefully about what I would like to do as a job. I will learn probably python or c++ because you yourself said that they are all similar so if I learn any of them it will be easier to learn the others.
Thank you

Reactions: Ghgore

Ralston18

Titan
Do go beyond languages and coding.

Learn some management skills: communications, technical writing, presentations, team building, proposal writing, project management.

Broaden your skill set.

At some time in the future you will want to advance. Or be forced to be able to do so in order to stay employed.

Get a head start......

Reactions: Ghgore

kanewolf

Titan
By now, you must have learned Python, code complexity calculation, principles of programming, object-oriented programming, how to write clean code and much more.
How can you make that statement? You know nothing about the age or background of the original poster. Is your "By now" just based on the 8 months that have elapsed since the original post?

Many of the topics you identify are best practices (writing clean code) or advanced software design (complexity analysis). Not something that someone that is "going to study" computer science is probably going to have as prerequisite knowledge.

Reactions: mkaafy
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS