C2D only goes to 1.120 idle...anyone get .85ish???

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
If you run RMclock and then goto your windows power management, you can now select RMclock as the controller. However, when I did this and made sure all the features were enabled, I saw no difference at all. Now to me, it would make sense that C1, C1E, C2, C3 and C4, in that order, are more and more power saving. But when I was reading the Intel pdf sheet for the C2D they kept making it sound like C1E was the most power saving.

They did release a new BIOS for my mobo but it was 2-3 days after I talked with ASUS, so I know they didn't get my problem through the system fast enough to make it to the BIOS, it mainly had support added for Intel's C2 quads (kentsfield), revised temperature reading algorithm (I saw no difference, coretemp and TAT still make more sense) and more ram and OC compatibility.

The strange thing about the BIOS is the lowest Vore I can select is 1.4V, which makes absolutely no sense. I still idle at 1.120 when set to auto and I don't plan to try and manual voltages when the lowest I can pick is 1.4V. They just have some more work to do with these BIOS's.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
wow, so it is true that quad core will work on the Intel 965 chipset! I hope they release the new BIOS for the 975X too!

That'd make me a happy camper!!! :D :trophy:

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
Some argue the 965 is better fore the Core 2 architechture since thats what the chipset was made for but I think its just as good as the 975X except lacking the extra features like more SATA and so on. But yes, I am sure the 975X will support it, just a matter of time.

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
Well I have been monitoring my temperature after I got a new case fan (the stock one was just slow) and the new BIOS and I am idling at 33-34C, not bad at all. RMclock had a RC1 out and it has updated its temperature reading and it very close to coretemp and intel TAT. Asus probe is still off by about 5-8 degrees (reports above actual temp). I just thought I would show it and why I think the results TH got are possible.

low%20temp.JPG

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I just had a funny idea! Try this, it might sound stupid, but worth a shot. Go into the BIOS and put your CPU on the lowest voltage that the motherboard will let you. Then adjust the CPU clock to 1600 MHz. IF you have the latest BIOS, that should be easy! Just lower the multiplier to 6. Then save settings and reboot and see if your computer will even post ;) It's worth a shot to see if the CPU can run at that speed... then again, maybe that might not work due to that the CPU will be at some % of load while booting...

nvm... back to the drawing board :(

Twas a good idea, until thought all the way through

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
Well the problem is that with this new BIOS for my mobo, the 0509, it only allows the lowest selectable voltage in the BIOS as 1.400V! I had mentioned that before, must be some nice glitch they brought along in this new BIOS. I will install AI Booster but I think it is limited to whatever the BIOS provides for voltages.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
That stinks. My BIOS limits me to 1.2V.

But anyways, didn't you say RMClock allows you to choose lower? This is very weird. ASUS needs to get on the ball! sheesh!

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
RMclock allow you to choose the VID but it is still limited to 1.162V. The BIOS needs to be updated to support a much wider dynamic VID. If you look at the datasheet for the core 2 duos, goto the section in the pdf that is about electrical specification and look at the the table containing all the VID's. I just think that the BIOS is only showing a VID range that would be ideal for a P4, not these new C2Ds.

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
My question to Intel:

"Assuming that the motherboard and BIOS are capable of supporting the C4 Power State, is it likely that a typical Windows XP installation will enter this state at idle? This will be with a Firewall, Anti-virus, Network connection enabled and all the Windows background processes running."

The Reply:

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

Basically, what you state on your last phrase is correct, the voltage of the processor will depend on the software that you are running, since you want to run applications in the background, the processor will not achieve the voltage that you are looking for.

The lower limit 0.7625V is the minimum requirement for the processor to properly run, but this does not mean that the processor will be necessarily running at 0.7625V in idle, it just means that the processor can run at that voltage.

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
So it can run that low though, if you dont run alot of crap. That still doesn't disprove TH's article results.

EDIT-

My AI Booster doesn't even have a Vcore option, this AI Booster looks ALOT different, its part of this thing called AI Suite.exe.

TRENDING THREADS