Cable internet slows down after 2-3 minutes and hangs finally

Gan Vema

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
I am having a cable internet connection. For the last few days, after connecting to internet, it works for a few minutes (2 - 3 minutes) and then slows down drastically and finally hangs. But, connection icon is still displayed and shows as connected.

When I contacted the local operator (ISP's agent) providing the connection, service person came and checked the connections at my end and at the hub fixed in our compound and told that everything is fine. Also, other connections from the hub in our compound are all working fine.

Finally, he told that problem is in my computer only and I have to get it checked. But, I am surprised at his reply because, there is no change in my system configuration or anything else recently and the net connection was working fine till the problem developed. I am having dual boot (XP and win 7) and the problem is there in both the OS.

I am totally confused as to what can be problem. Please help to resolve the issue from your experience.

dekertek

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Try switching from Wireless to Wired or Wired to Wireless to rule out if there is a hardware problem with the network adapter you are using. This would be possible since you said the problem was presenting itself on both OS's.

Gan Vema

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
Mine is a wired network. It is a cable internet. Network cable from the operator is connected to my system's NIC.

Initially, I had only XP OS. Due to this problem, I wanted to see whether the fault is at the operator end or in my system. So I got Win7 installed to test the connection. But the same problem continued in Win 7 also.

Now the service person is telling that there is no problem in their side and asking me to get my computer checked. As per his suggestion, I deleted all the temporary files, history, etc. Still no use.

I am using symantec antivirus. For the last few days, it is showing that it needs to be updated. When I run the update, it shows as if all the updates have been done. But, even after that the same message is shown. Can there by any link between this AV updation problem and net disconnecton? If so, then why the same problem is happening in Win 7 also, in which there is no AV software. Only windows essential software was installed in Win 7.

dekertek

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
That is one of the reasons I asked you to change your network adapter. If this is a computer without a second adapter, you can purchase a USB to ethernet adapter or a cheap Network Interface Card and put in your computer to try that as a replacement. Partial or total failure of network adapters are not out of the realm of possibility. I only mention this because you have tried 2 separate OS's on the same machine.

ALSO first verify there isn't an issue with the cable, either replace the cable if necessary or place a working computer at the end of your ethernet cable to verify the working machine still works while plugged into your cable.

Champ Cspune

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Hi,

I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support Team.

SE 11.x version is End of Life since 5th Jan'2015. Symantec is no longer providing updates for it.

Could you confirm the SEP client version. To confirm the version details open SEP client GUI --> Look at Top right corner, Click Help--> About

SEP 12.1 RU5 (12.1.5337.5000) is the latest version.

Best Regards,
Chetan