[SOLVED] Cable modem with Cat6 input?

Dakoda4

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2012
I am looking as switching ISPs, and upgrading my modem and router, the connection from our ISP comes into our house and into the current modem via a cat6 cable instead of a coax. What kind of modem do I need to look for in order to accept the ethernet input, instead of coax?

Solution
Cat6 generally is a form of ethernet cable. Port in devices are going to be 10/100/1000 which can cat5e or better cable. Although I have never seen it in theory a ISP could use 10g ports and those you connect with cat6a cable.

It is highly unlikely the cable is ethernet. Ethernet can only go 100 meters so unless you live in the data center the connection to your house must be something else.

Now you might have a DSL connection that comes in over the telephone wires. Sometimes ethernet cable is used for this inside your house but it is not actually running ethernet over the wires. If it is DSL you need to visit your ISP web site and find devices that are compatible. Mostly this depends if you have a VDSL...
Cat6 generally is a form of ethernet cable. Port in devices are going to be 10/100/1000 which can cat5e or better cable. Although I have never seen it in theory a ISP could use 10g ports and those you connect with cat6a cable.

It is highly unlikely the cable is ethernet. Ethernet can only go 100 meters so unless you live in the data center the connection to your house must be something else.

Now you might have a DSL connection that comes in over the telephone wires. Sometimes ethernet cable is used for this inside your house but it is not actually running ethernet over the wires. If it is DSL you need to visit your ISP web site and find devices that are compatible. Mostly this depends if you have a VDSL connection but check to see if they have any requirements.

Solution

Dakoda4

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2012

Now you might have a DSL connection that comes in over the telephone wires. Sometimes ethernet cable is used for this inside your house but it is not actually running ethernet over the wires. If it is DSL you need to visit your ISP web site and find devices that are compatible. Mostly this depends if you have a VDSL connection but check to see if they have any requirements.

Ahhhh thank you, that may be the case, that they are running DSL over a cat6 cable, it just confused me greatly, because I had never seen a modem with a cat5 or 6 input, and wasn't sure what to get for a replacement.