Call of Duty 4 > Crysis.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Hello all, first I'll start off by saying that Call of Duty 4 is a much better purchase than Crysis. Allow me to explain why that is, and how I came to this conclusion, which is based on Single Player and Multiplayer aspects, graphics, overall performance, and game play.

The single player campaigns for both games are quite nice. I had a lot of fun with Crysis and CoD4 alike, however there were some problems I had when playing the Crysis single player campaign. When running on optimized settings, I encountered several areas where I got no more than EIGHT frames per second. That made that entire portion unplayable unless I turned the graphics ALL the way down, to something which looked on par with F.E.A.R on 800x600 @ Low Settings. Comparatively, Call of Duty 4 single player I blitzed through the whole thing with frames ranging from 60-90+, and those graphics were on par, if not the same, than Crysis graphics at Medium settings. Overall the single player campaigns were fun, but I enjoyed the Call of Duty 4 version better because I could play it with more stability.

Multiplayer, for most, is a big, big thing to have in a game for people. And I am no exception. Crysis multiplayer reminds me of a game that is in an immature stage. It's fun, but it has potential to be much more and mature into a multiplayer that is amazing, something like that of World in Conflict (which has dozens of tournaments and is action packed). Call of Duty 4 multiplayer is essentially the entire reason I bought the game, and I bought the game for it's multiplayer because the multiplayer in Crysis was just not on par with what I had expected. Call of Duty 4 has several game modes, whereas Crysis has two. Call of Duty 4 also allows unlocks and customization, whereas Crysis doesn't really expand on this all that much. The maps are really nice in CoD4, there's tons; Crysis has only 4. To me this is just unacceptable for a game of its prestige. Overall the fun factor of Crysis multiplayer versus Call of Duty 4 multiplayer, while both are fun, is like comparing apples to oranges, it's not even in the same ballpark really.

Graphics are what everyone loves, that's why we spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on our custom PCs that we game on. Crysis is a BEAUTIFUL game, but it's horrible when it comes to scaling. Absolutely horrible. Call of Duty 4 delivers on par with Medium Graphics in Crysis, only at 60+ frames a second on my old GPU. Why is Crysis displaying on par with CoD4 but taxing the system so much more? I do not know, but I think the game is unoptimized and potentially released to early.

Game play is also another issue I had. While the Call of Duty 4 manual is almost worthless to look at, the Crysis manual is roughly the same. I encountered certain things that I had questions about while playing the game, turned to my manual for Crysis only to find no documentation on the subject, which I felt was important, at all. Call of Duty 4 is easy to play, but the controls could be a lot better, but some fiddling and tweaking fixes that. Crysis and it's controls are much better in my opinion. It was easier to get the feel for things right away than it was in Call of Duty 4. The HUDs in both games are very nice as well. I wish I could take certain elements from one and put it to the other when I play either of the games.

If I was to pick a game and only purchase one of them based upon what I know now, I would purchase Call of Duty 4. I liked Crysis for it's single player a lot, but hated the multiplayer, I liked Call of Duty 4 and it's single player and multiplayer a lot as well, but favored the multiplayer greatly over the single player. Crysis and it's single player treads on ground I haven't played on since the original Half-Life. And Call of Duty 4 offers probably some of the best Multiplayer I've ever played. Hands down though when comparing each of these games it comes as no shock why I bought Crysis; it was the hype. Call of Duty 4 delivered on everything I had heard of, Crysis only delivered on the graphics, and that was about it. CoD4 > Crysis.

leckig

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
excellent post, very well written! I think I will now buy COD4, I could not make my mind. Multiplayer is what counts for me, I will not play SP at all.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I would've liked Crysis a LOT more if it would run better. I just don't see how CoD4 can look just as good on my system yet give me such higher performance. it really makes me question the game and whether or not it was released to early.

CoD4 multiplayer is bar none, the best. Haven't played as fun of a multiplayer game since Counter Strike...not source, I'm talking CS 1.6. :lol: CoD4 is just great; it's stable, packs great multiplayer options, and it fun. Worth every penny.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
You ever play Oblivion? The difference can be seen going from outdoor to indoor.

I like to drive vehicles and run teammates/enemies over that either try to steal it or kill me.

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
The reason Crysis runs so darn slow at times is the vegetation and grass ETC is interactive with the wind. This makes a TON of screen refresh necessary every frame rendered. Your CPU and GPU are chocking on calculations. FarCry didn't do this so much unless YOU hit the plants with whatever. Oblivion, as mentioned, has the same rendering calculation issues inside to outside.

Does this one labor intensive aspect of the game add or take away from the game? Well, I'd rather have still vegetation and a better story line than a CPU/GPU test engine to tell you the truth. Being able to turn off "active vegetation" or whatever you want to call it would hardly change the game visuals any at all, and make it far easier to play on a less than killer PC. Even great PC's chock on this game, and for what, a not so great story line? I don't get it.

Sacrifice was a great example of a great game with pleasing visuals. The game interaction was great and 100% open ended to meet an objective. It had a great story line and game play. I almost ALWAYS find this a better option over bleeding edge graphics. It pays to pay the writers a kittle more, not the programmers. They can't keep up as is. A more fun "game" and sooner, beats a complicated program nightmare that is a YEAR or more late.

I've also heard COD4 is a good game, and from many people.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Exactly. There's no reason a tree branch or two moving 2 inches because of "wind" should tax my system THAT much. Given there's a ton of bushes and what not, the fact remains that it's not worth it. People have lost so much in performance it's almost unplayable. I liked a lot of things in Crysis. But I disliked even more. Haven't found a flaw yet in Call of Duty 4.

Sugarcane

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
I'm happy that I can play COD4 with my lowly 7950gt @ 1900x1200, with most of the eye candy on, 50+ fps. I'd give another shot at Crysis if I could play above 1280x1024.

woodeneye

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
All of Crysis's graphical features can be adjusted by editing the config files.
With all due respect I found COD4 sp to be as dull as dogsh*t. There is only ever one way to go.....

GavHall81

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I remember when Quake4 came out; my old machine could hardly handle it at all. You could JUST about play it if you turned all the settings to minimum. Once you'd done that, it looked a lot worse than Quake3, which ran at over 100fps!

I look forward to playing Crysis maxed out @ 60fps in about 2 years time when a mid range PC will have all the power you need. :p

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Well therein lies the issue: should we have to tweak files to get good performance and visuals, or should the devs have done this from the get go? I personally feel that if I have to manually go in and fix what the guys who got paid god knows how much to do, makes me quite a bit upset. It shoudl've been designed like that from the start. But my problems with Crysis are not JUST the system tax it has on your PC, it's the story line, or lack thereof, the ending, and the multiplayer. Crysis has its pros and cons like every other game out there, but in comparison to CoD4, IMO, CoD4 is just a more solid, better designed game form the ground up.

Sugarcane

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
I agree. The main selling point of Crysis is its next-gen graphics. I'd be glad to get a 8800gt, but even that will choke on Crysis. Turning down the eye candy, lowering the resolution etc doesn't interest me. If I want that, I might as well play Far Cry. By the time I turn everything down, it might look the same, who knows. But, to each his own.

I just wonder what kind of setup did they test Crysis on before release? A supercomputer?

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

You actually raise a good question. In fact, they ran a Crysis trailer featuring an early DirectX 10 API, via CrossFire X1900XTX's that emulated DX10 and the unified shader architecture. Amazing that they could run it on DX9 cards and an emulation, but an 8800GTX with an extreme edition quad core struggles to push great frame rates. Baffles me...

echofoxtrot

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
oh c'mon, cod4 single player boring, you can't tell me that you did not get a cold shiver during the sniper stage when the enemy was walking past you. Or a sick sense of happiness during the ac130 stage????

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
The Sniper Stage was incredible!! I've never played a mission liek that in an FPS. What realyl shocked me was not the initial guys or APCs, but right as I was about to follow the Captain another APC popped out of nowhere and I literally said out loud, "Holy &%$#!!!" That kind of surprise and suspense is the sort of thing that makes CoD4 SP better to me. And the AC-130 mission was new territory for me in an FPS. Absolutely loved the game.

I read your first paragraph and decided to cut to a responds. I AGREE. I bought Crysis and the Single player is nice and fun if you can run at a minimum of medium settings. The multiplayer sucks though. I really like the COD4 multiplayer much better. looks so much better.

Flyingpolok

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I knew about 6mo. ago that the gaming scene this winter would be one of the best of all time. With this information in hand and finally being in a position to build a serious gaming rig (Wife's permission included!) I acted. I dropped nearly 3.5K on my system (E6600,4GB RAM,8800GTS,RAID 0+1 300 x 4 HDD, Vista64U, 27" LCD). I enjoyed playing HL2EP2, BioShock, TF2 but was really struck by CoD4 and couldn't wait for Crysis.

Now that I've finished both CoD4 and Crysis I've got to say what upset me about Crysis was that my hardware simply was outpaced by this game yet CoD4 which at times looked as good graphically speaking maintained 60-90FPS. Spending the kind of cash I did on a PC and playing a game not more than 6 months after I built my machine with top notch hardware and watching my hardware be brought to its knees simply isn't fun.

It's like I no sooner built a machine and am forced to focus on the next upgrade which when all is said and done will cost another 1K. :-(

dmacfour

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
the single player in COD4 was amazing! the ac130 mission was my favorite mission behind the sniper mission. both were incredibly realistic; I really felt like I was"there". the graphics are amazing: I can run them high def with max settings, and stay above 30 FPS the entire game. I have only two minor gripes about COD4: when I sidestep my screen stutters like mad, and a few areas I found myself dying multiple times. Hardly big problems at all.

Crysis on the other hand.... pros: sandbox gameplay cool nanosuit features, some parts were really epic, the Koreans were pretty smart. I love sneaking up cloaked and pulling off silent assassinations. if I lower all the settings to get 30+ FPS the gameplay quite intense. Cons: horrible drop in performance during the middle and end of the game, looks like crap on my machine, and the game ended way before I though to would. It's like cutting off your favorite song seconds before the chorus. I was like what? did the game just really end? I really though the ending cinematic wasn't the end.

COD4>Crysis

jnava121

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Once I saw the spectre gunship camera views from COD4 i have to purchase it.... great innovation to put all those types of game play in it....

I've done that stuff in real life and it looks very much like the real thing....

sweet.......

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
would have bought COD4 already but im waiting for the nvidia 9 series cards to build my new pc... i dont want to get it for xbox because Call of Duty will always be a pc game in my heart...

ChefJeff789

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Call of Duty 4 is definitely better. What with the fact that my computer runs CoD incredibly well, and for some reason can't even load the skybox correctly in Crysis, CoD 4 gets my vote. It's better than Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed for the 360, the SP is fun and has an outstanding narrative, and the MP is better than Halo 3's best.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I've been playing CoD4 multiplayer absolutely non-stop. It's incredible!! The P90 seems a bit over powered but when i look at it fomr a realistic point of view it isn't OP at all: the gun is just that good. CoD4 seems to take realism and blend it into a gaming perspective. Using the environment and playing more like a person and less like a run-and-gun CS Source style gamer becomes quite apparent very quickly. I was noticing that using smoke grenades and flanking maneuvers is now much more beneficial and has a better outcome and affect in CoD4 than in any other shooter I've ever played. I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy but by all means the game is allowing me, personally, to play in ways I haven't been able to play in what seems like forever.

The game is just so much fun that I bought a copy for my friend last night so that he and I could game. He doesn't play online games that much but last night he played till 5:30AM, so I think it's quite clear that CoD4 is a great online game.

In my opinion...game of the year. No questions asked.