Call of Duty 4 > Crysis.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Frames per second isn't the TOP issue. The top issues are the bugs, the lack of a storyline, lackluster multiplayer, and than followed by poor system stability. Crysis was just released too soon in my opinion.

MrsBytch

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I really wanted Crysis when I got my new card and vista, but ended up ordering COD4 instead. The user reviews I read turned me away from crysis. The hardware requirements made me think even with my fast midrange system, I wasnt going to be able to run over medium settings. I sort of am boycotting crysis, for having such high requirements. I will play it eventually though, its just a matter of time.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
yes bugs are huge issue in crysis, the story line? hmmmm not sure we can judge a trilogy based story line this early in the mix though i admit i would have liked a bit more completation in the overall arc of the plot. that said if EA doesn't pick the plot up and add some really good "revalation" in the following two, i think crysis will be a freaking waste and nothing more than crytek's fancy pr moves to sell there new latest and great game engine just in time to put money in to far cry 2...which from what i understand has the entire storyline over hauled from the odd twist it took with the monkey super solidiers island. the next incarnation is supposed to be more of a merc based story line...crytek and EA have interesting times ahead.

Pollux

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007

Bingo

Also, i wish Crysis had a permanent ranking system.. and more and better MP gameplay :D

I can make peace with the bugs since every game has them.. but gameplay!!!!

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Crysis had the potential to be a great multiplayer game. I felt it needed more game modes, specifically that of TDM or CTF. Just anything except Instant Action and Power Struggle. =/

spree

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
Whats wrong with the plot?
Is it so differ from the plot of HalfLife?
You got general aline plot, and you need to go to places while you shoot your way through...

Crytek are implementing the buisness module of Value ( Halflife2 Episodes..)

I finished the game twice and only encounter in several odd physics behaviour when playing with the turtle on the beach, which are NOT bugs, it is related to the nature of the physics engine.

I find the game to be one of the best action games I've played in the genera, the overall experience (With all on high settings and hi fps) is amazing!

krisboro

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Making comparisons between a game you have PLAYED and a game you have seen on "HD" internet video is just plain freakin ignorant. Like the other guy said, go look at the Sniper/All Gillied Up level on COD4 and tell me there is no comparison. The Infinity Ward team vs. the Crytek team comparison in this is like comparing college football to NFL (Vince Jones? Who is he?) Optimization is a word that isn't in Crytek's lexicon. It's ALL HYPE, and I fell for it...

So I went out with this one chick last week and she appeared so much better than her friend, but, then I tried her out and...:rolls:

Don't believe the hype, my friends, Crysis straight up sucks balls. You were had with the videos; it really aint that good, and don't get me started on the AI....

spac13

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007

AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA

very well said, i think i know that girl, she has another sister called doom 3 .........

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

Oh Krisboro, as much as I'd like to comment on your comment...I won't. Childish ignorance.

***You may want to look at the thread as I did play the Demo already at very high resolution***.

I'm sorry you fell into what you call Hype for Crysis. I enjoyed Crysis and believe its the next step into gaming visuals.

I have played COD4. Looks good, I won't argue that... and Gameplay was much better than Crysis. I think Crysis just looks better... its what it is. I'm sorry for not being a fanboy...and believing in the hype?!!

And, what is it with you guys asking me to look from a Sniping view? Then I did, and oh boy! I called everyone I knew it was the most amazing site I've ever seen...*sarcasm*. Not even close to Crysis. I'll just assume you don't have the rig for it...which is fine as it is the case for most people.

Since when have we not been entitled to one's own opinion? Ever since COD4 engineered the way the new SNIPING VIEW...OH BOY!

1frothy

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
I think maybe Crytek overshot their plans for Crysis.

I know this would never happen, but if Crysis ran the Unreal 3 Engine then it would be a far more enjoyable game - just like Bioshock, I've played that game 4 times over and now that the new patch and plasmids are released - I'm playing it again!

Poopsmasher

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007

Well summed up. :pfff:
Wow, this thread is long...

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Looking at this post one would think that, you too, excel in childish ignorance. :sol:

raze

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
I have to say i purchased COD4 and have to say it was one of the worst games i have ever played. If you are thinking of buying it, save your money. This is nothing more than Counterstrike with more noob addons.

Nade when you die. You can set so when you die you drop a nade .You can get kills this way with out having any skill. Just dieing. It was like the developers said hey we have to make so a 2 year old can get a kill. You don't even have to be around to get a kill.

Pistol death. Another noob add on. Let make look like people die. You shoot them enough so they should be dead, instead they just lay down and cannot use their legs. They can still shoot a pistol at you and kill you.

Well the developers didn't think that enough that added even more. If you get 3 kills in a row you get radar. The entire other team show up in your hud. Get 5 kills in a row, and you call in an air strike. Get 6 and get air support. With the small maps it doesn't matter how good you are, if your team is losing your not even going to be able to spawn.

I do not understand the idea behind their mupliplayer maps. There is always someone spawning behind you. You run back and forth on the map, and people are spawning everywhere. Hey i guess it gives the noobs a better chance to spawn behind you. Again catering to the idea to sell games you have hurt people with skills. Maybe next time you should just make a bigger map

Ahh yes and lets add the shooting through objects. What idoit came up with this idea.WEEEEEE look at me i can spray and pray and no one can hide from me. Mommy look me with my saw i can shoot everywhere on the map. I don't even have to see the people. All this accomplishes is he who has more bullets wins.

This game is good for someone between the ages of 2 and 13. COD4 is just a run and gun shooter.

The whole idea behind this game is punish good players for being good, and reward bad players for sucking.If it wasn't for the updated graphics i would have swore i was playing a 5-6 year old game.

Single player wasn't much better. Putting a ton of ai in small spaces has been done already. I actually got bored with it. The ai are pretty bad. You could sneak up on them kill 4 out of 6 and them would even know what was going on.

I liked crysis. Thought it is a great game. Multiplayer mode are lacking, but hopefully the community will solve that.If you are comparing the 2 game you would have to say Crysis wins. With the editor you could make crysis maps exactly like COD4, but you could never make COD4 like crysis.

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I still enjoy Counter strike 1.6 more than most games, but i would be a bit dissapointed if this game turns out to be similar. Some of the above points sound like the multiplayer may be a bit annoying. I think though that those aspects of the game arent enough to warrent 'saving your money'.

On a crysis front, i really like the look of the open and interactive environment and physics, and so im really looking forward to playing it. I say NEVER beleive general hype, only ever make your own conclusions. From what iv seen I think that COD4 will be a really great single player story and extremely fun.

I also think crysis will be a joy to look at and play, and have people round just to show. I also love the map editor, which im sure will mean more maps and mods from fans, which will definitely keep me entertained coming from all the custom counterstrike maps.

GeorgeStorm

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Hi,
Well, I can say the I love crysis, I have played COD4, and will admit that it was good, but people moaning that they cant get decent FPS on crysis, and so saying it is a bad game need their heads examining, my rig is in my sig, and you can see, its not exactly top of the range, yet I still play crysis, sure with the odd slowdown, but the gameplay is AWESOME! I set physics to high, and then BAM!, everything is possible, cover becomes far scarcer, as that shed your hiding behind might just decide to be blown to bits by an enemy grenade, that tree? Shot down by the enemy, crushing you.....
The gameplay is amazing, and the graphics, well with everyone saying ghow amazing they were, its no wonder most people cant run them properly!
Crysis>COD4 due to gameplay, I have played COD4, and it was quite intense, but not as much as crysis, it had me sweating in fear, whether that Korean had seen me or not.....

Just me trying to help.........

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006

Lol...that's funny. I'm still playing Starcraft and America's Army to this day. Terrible graphics by today's standards, but great, immersive gameplay!

Poopsmasher

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Ha ha ha ha ha! COD4 multiplayer is freakin awesome man!
Just practice a bit more you'll do well, dont worry you'll get there raze...

Its so much fun, grab your SAW, put on StoppingPower, DeepPenatration and rip it up man!
Game of the decade!
Hooah!

chevellerocks

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Without a doubt COD4 gets my vote. I wouldn't even put Crysis in the Top 5 games of this year and I certainly wouldn't put it in the top 50 first person shooter games of all time. I appreciated the graphics and I really did enjoy how interactive the world is, I think that Crysis will start a new trend in gaming, but often the first of any generation of new products suffers. These is one moment in Crysis where I think they got it just right,
you are running up a hill across sections of road towards an enemy encampment and a passenger truck is driving down the road, well you just happen to have a rocket launcher at this point. Shooting a rocket just in front of the vehicle causing it to explode and do a couple flips. Crysis lacked these moments, Moments that are so abundant in games like Half Life 2, COD4 or Bioshock. I just never want to care about the characters or the ultra cliche events in Crysis. I mean honestly, you are a marine and you encounter aliens.. i beg someone to tell me that is original. I really didn't give a crap about any of the characters and I found the dialogue brutal at best(although still 10 times better than far cry) I just have a couple questions about other peoples Crysis experience that maybe people could enlighten on.
1.) Did you ever just feel like you were running for a long time without experiencing any kind of action? like the caves or floating through the alien ship. i found these long jogs totally pointless.
2.) did anyone else find that fighting the final boss was a lot like fighting the final boss in a game like contra or Metal slug. I mean the giant ship that has you shooting canons and sections off. If this race has been around since millions of years before humans why the hell do they shoot icesickles. You mean they could shoot lasers and they are choosing icesickles?
Anyways, I guess I am just dissappointed, Crysis was supposed to be great, I played it with a good friend who hasn't been exposed to all the hype and I think he was bored most of the game. I was bored.
Cod gets my vote... for reasons I would love to type but in my Crysis b#tch fest i have exhausted myself.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Well, I must admit I laughed when i read this...

Very good point, and a funny one at that. I think the Crysis fad is over and done with. What's really weird is that all of a sudden BioShock seems to be popping up everywhere. I even went into GameStop yesterday and the guys there mentioned it. Very odd.

tuyen

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

Well, it's two years later...and Crysis still can't be played at maximum settings, unless you spend $1500 on 3 or 4 top-of-the-line GTX 295 cards in SLI mode.

What can we can take away from this? One very simple lesson: Crysis was a prime example of how NOT to create a game.

importuner

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Wait hold on, Crysis is the number one reason why I built my pc, but to be honest it is a boomer that it plays at such low FPS. Well quite honestly it playable through 3/4 of the game at high settings no AA< AF, and V-Zinc off and Phyisics on high. But the best part the one we all anjoy the 4th ending scene in the battleship I had to honestly bring down my settings to what we call "Playstation 1" graphics, 600:480res and all settings on low and windowed. How the hell can that happen at the end of the game. Well honestly I before I wrote this exerpt, I was playing COD4 online. Darnit its such a fun game, it never gets old. You play and play and even if you reach prestiege, you still come back for more. Yes its true COD4 is the funnest-playable game on pc at this moment=90+FPS. But Crysis its the best graphics intense story SP game I've ever played. I myself can't wait for Crysis 2. The only reason why I'm saving $1500 for a new Core i7 PC. But make no mistake Modern Warfare 2 is coming with its own new prices and the level of fun in the single player campaign mode has been kicked up a notch. However the multiplayer has let down players for the single and most important reason: that is the Game has no dedicated servers, meaning no mods, less protection, and " cheaters are welcome". Lest wait to se what this new franchis brings to the plate.

Thanks!

importuner

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
By the way my current pc is : HP a6500f
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 @3.33GHZ/ Nvidia GTX 260 OC / 4GB RAM DDR2 800mhz/700watt/500GB