Call of Duty: Black Ops Getting Dedicated Servers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Like stated, I guess it's better than nothing.

I still don't understand why people feel a need to cheat at a video game...I really don't see the enjoyment in it. Maybe it makes them feel good to be the "best," even if they didn't do the actual work. Seems so strange to me...

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]MW2 on pc is filled with hackers , IW did a shitty job releasing a broken game.Wallhack , aimbot , 10th prestige , no recoil , moded lobbies.[/citation]
Not to mention the people who were able to hack on the actual consoles as well.

Wolvan

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
My CoD-MW clan is looking at this. We are not overly excited about the limitation of the dedicated server, but its better then MW2 which we all basically skipped. We have our own dedicated server for MW (and yes we pay for it, most PC players/clans are happy to pay for a server to run). We run strict rules, stream PBBans and closely monitor the server. We kick, temp ban and perma-ban people as required for cheating or not following server rules. Their is no voting of people on the server. Clan members are all admins. And you know what? We have a large number of non-clan members who are regular players on our server who also donate to our server fund to help pay for the server. Everybody is very happy.

Have to see how it goes with Black Ops.
Man Down Clan
[MD]Wolvan

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]Wolvan[/nom]My CoD-MW clan is looking at this. We are not overly excited about the limitation of the dedicated server, but its better then MW2 which we all basically skipped. We have our own dedicated server for MW (and yes we pay for it, most PC players/clans are happy to pay for a server to run). We run strict rules, stream PBBans and closely monitor the server. We kick, temp ban and perma-ban people as required for cheating or not following server rules. Their is no voting of people on the server. Clan members are all admins. And you know what? We have a large number of non-clan members who are regular players on our server who also donate to our server fund to help pay for the server. Everybody is very happy. Have to see how it goes with Black Ops.Man Down Clan [MD]Wolvan[/citation]

if you play BFBC2 search for F.S.F. and come join my clan's server for some great fun. the vent into flashed on the screen as you play.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I wonder if I'll be able to get a free copy given that MW2 was a rip-off and I sincerely believe that I'm owed a free game by these bloody thieves. I hope, really do hope, that this game fails beyond belief and that at the end of it all becomes a budget priced game - but I'm sure it won't. People forget too quick and forgive too easily the blunders of the past...

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
This is a lame move by Treyarch. Yes, it means some there will be some dedicated servers. But this means that the game HAS the ability to do dedicated but they chose to go the greedy route and do exclusivity with gameservers. So, basically this just confirms AGAIN that Activision cares about money and not their customers.

I bought MW2 (heavily on sale) only because my friends did. After 3 weeks we had all quit; the constant hacking is crazy. What really killed it were those dbags running around where if you killed them you got all the way level 70. Way to destroy the leveling system.

That's why BC2 is better. There are a lot of hackers but they get perma banned quickly by punkbuster (which I have always hated until BC2 where it seems to work really well) or by admins. I have only had a few hackers actually ruin my game in BC2 unlike MW2. Sorry, I'll pass on any more COD games.

rasagul

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Well thank god....I will buy this title, The exclusive deal with GS is not ideal but is a step in the right direction.

BC2 has it's share of Hackers but most of them get perma-banned from either PB or the servers host. MW2 on the other hand is just lame to the point that when it first launched Steam reported around 1.5 million users online on a daily basis.. Last night I checked again and its down to 20,500 users.. As long as we have dedicated servers and admins monitoring the activity we should be fine.

On the other hand what people don't understand is the fact that PB does not kick if the hack is placed outside of the games folder. For instance many hackers now run a hack from USB drives making it impossible for PB to detect the hack. In this case the only way to detect that the user is hacking is by cam-tracking (spectate). Normally they are easy to spot since they bunny hop and get a boatload of headshot's without missing. But hackers are not that stupid either, they can disactivate the hack when they feel they are being watched so this is the reason that we need full control of the servers and an admin monitoring the game at all times.

BC2 took MW's swag away and I doubt they will get it back, unless BO comes out to be this uber game that everyone has been waiting for i really don't see the MW series making a comeback. It's time to let it go and make way for BF3, a real game..

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Pass. Ridiculously priced map packs that do nothing but splinter the userbase is what turned me off, although IWnet was on Xbox Live-levels of horrible at times with switching and merging rooms for 5 minutes only to completely kick me out to the main menu before a game is about to start. And the forced wait between games was ridiculously long.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This is certainly a step in the right direction, though the correct step would have been backwards to COD4 where everything was great. I still don't think that I'll buy this simply because it doesn't allow custom maps and mods. I don't even care if I need to buy map packs, its not about the money, I just want my modding community back. The max 18-24 player servers is pretty lame too. If I hear from friends that the game is actually good, I may pick it up on sale.

skooter617

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Oh well.... had hopes for private server support. Being hand-cuffed to pay a monthly fee to play the game with my group, not gonna do it.

I run my own game server in my shop. And it hosts several different games. None of which are open for public play. As for ranked and unranked servers, we could care less about that feature. Our group just likes to get together once or twice a week, on our own private server, and game. So, I suppose our shoot'em up evenings will remain older COD titles.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]OvrClkr[/nom]BC2 has it's share of Hackers but most of them get perma-banned from either PB or the servers host. MW2 on the other hand is just lame to the point that when it first launched Steam reported around 1.5 million users online on a daily basis.. Last night I checked again and its down to 20,500 users.. As long as we have dedicated servers and admins monitoring the activity we should be fine.On the other hand what people don't understand is the fact that PB does not kick if the hack is placed outside of the games folder. For instance many hackers now run a hack from USB drives making it impossible for PB to detect the hack. In this case the only way to detect that the user is hacking is by cam-tracking (spectate). Normally they are easy to spot since they bunny hop and get a boatload of headshot's without missing. But hackers are not that stupid either, they can disactivate the hack when they feel they are being watched so this is the reason that we need full control of the servers and an admin monitoring the game at all times.BC2 took MW's swag away and I doubt they will get it back, unless BO comes out to be this uber game that everyone has been waiting for i really don't see the MW series making a comeback. It's time to let it go and make way for BF3, a real game..[/citation]

i have noticed this on practically every online game now days, and when you report these hackers to a GM you have to instantly recognize what hack it is, and not hang around the hacker and pretend to not spectate and the GM has to show up right then and there to catch them before they can shut off the hack off. that is kind of a satisfing technical kill for me, but i shouldn't have to quit playing my game to solve this. also when somebody sucks, i can't help but want to kick them to bring in somebody better no matter whose side the noob is on. stupidity is paying extra for a server/bandwidth i already have and can do all this on in the same room with me and use to serve for other things when it's not serving COD2:MW. it's also nice to play the hell out of 1 map until we've figured out the game/map/tactics to use on it.

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]The problem is people like you kick people who are good, just because you get frustrated and THINK the person is cheating.[/citation]

Spoken like a true cheater. Not everyone kicks people better than them. So people can tell an obvious cheater from someone getting lucky or someone that is straight up good. There are obvious ways to test if someone is hacking. GG cheater go grief other articles.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Call of Duty as a multiplayer game will be dead to me until all the functionality of THREE YEARS AGO is restored.

This is coming from someone who bought every Call of Duty on launch day except the console titles and Modern Warfare 2.

Now, single player, they've still easily got the best to show. Seeing DC burn was fairly moving.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
still fail... so you can have a dedicated server if you are willing to pay extra money for it... i think they missed the point, guess i won't be buying this one either

thats one actual sale lost i'm sure there will be plenty more from my fellow pc gamers. one day activition might piss me off enought to cancel my wow account then they can also wave bye bye to my 15 per month

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I still find it funny that MW2 stripped all the great features out of MW1 and WAW (features that made them great and popular) and then how Activision was harping on how we were lucky to have LESS features and now they are slowly reinstating dedicated servers. The funny thing is, every PC gamer already knew that MW2 would have cheater/hacker problems when they announced no dedicated servers. It seems Activision was the only one surprised.

I still find the partial dedicated servers even more insulting that not having them at all. I mean come on, the game now has the ability to have dedicated servers but instead of opening it up, they enter into an exclusive agreement. Way to show how much you don't care about your customers.

I wonder if BO will have eyefinity support. The lack of Eyefinity in MW2 was crazy annoying.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
No cheats for PS3 MW2 so I can't complain. Also, I am a REAL gamer who can adjust to FPS on console. But hey this is good news, looks like they learned. But now your gonna have horrid servers cause server providers will stick 20 diff servers on 1 box. Ha, jk...maybe though.

Status
Not open for further replies.