Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Engine Focused on Gameplay

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]We got DX11 pack for Crysis 2, after all. I somehow had exactly the opposite experience with that game: looked great even with DX9, but gameplay... meh. I never finished it, but I will... once. Crysis Warhead > Crysis > Crysis 2 in terms of fun gameplay. Warhead was great...@BF3 fans: I know the game is highly anticipated, but please, can someone explain me what's so special about it? They promised you great graphics, but is that all you'll settle for? Want another Crysis 2? I've played BF2... and dropped out after 30 minutes. Maybe the game gets fun later, I'll finish it once, too, but seriously... so far, it was no different from Call of Duty, just better graphics. What's gonna be so great about BF3, can someone explain? Don't go hating, just explain... did I miss a demo or something that makes it stand out? I really don't get it!Though, just a good FPS with kick-ass graphics can't hurt. P.S. There was ONE great difference between BF2 and CoD... no dumb-ass enemy respawn all the time in BF2![/citation]

personally, i dont care about game graphics.
realisticy, graphics hit a high point, and what we need to focus on are more passive ways to improve graphics.

AAA games can go over 2 million sold now, and still not break even, and a lot of that has to do with graphics, and reinventing the wheel over and over again.

i want immaculate gameplay, i want ok graphics.
no game has ever made a game where if they graphics were any less, the gameplay would be completely ruined.

i could get by on a ps2 quality game, with pc quality textures and resolutions.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I have learned from previous Activations releases and activity for the COD games to simply ignore the hype, lame explanations, excuses etc.

Activation wants your money and they managed to pull in one of the biggest opening week of sorts in gaming history with the last game. I learned that my game would not run well in Crossfire because it favored nvidia. That caused me to load last, 1 to 2 minutes too late with several enemy snipers already scoped in at my spawn. No thanks.

I am sticking with BF3.

Finally but not least... Activision apparently had a event in LA recently giving special founders copy hardened edition for 150 dollars each. I think those are for TV gamers, not PC. (I am almost 50 years old, I quit playing TV games when Nintendo 64 finally wore out years ago)

And finally the last nail in my coffin that cements my loyalty to BF3 is the fact with the last COD game I played, the M60 machine gun given to the Game stop pre-order people and never issued to everyone else in a patch dominated the game play.

With teamwork, battle buddy, voice and good attitude and skill, you will have victory in any kind of game. No matter how flawed it may be.

With that said, I may get a copy anyway, but don't expect me to pay money each month to keep playing it. I firmly believe that one time buy the game with free patches is the order of the day and I will never go to pay as I play model that the activision and other companys seem to want now.

Finally but not last, I built a special machine strictly for BF3 when I learned that EA's Origin software snoops into everything on your machine. So I dislike that. If all it sees is a firewall and BF3 then there is no issue with privacy concerns.

G

@BF3 fans: I know the game is highly anticipated, but please, can someone explain me what's so special about it? They promised you great graphics, but is that all you'll settle for? Want another Crysis 2? I've played BF2... and dropped out after 30 minutes. Maybe the game gets fun later, I'll finish it once, too, but seriously... so far, it was no different from Call of Duty, just better graphics. What's gonna be so great about BF3, can someone explain? Don't go hating, just explain... did I miss a demo or something that makes it stand out? I really don't get it!

Fact is BF3 is much more about gameplay, that's pretty much about it. It requires your skill for every class, Attention for enemies, friendlies and objectives. Its never been about just being a 1 man army in the game nor killstreaks to own enemies. BF3 requires teamwork for you to win. With every effort that you give for your team it all pays off. DICE has been keen to this type of gameplay which make it great and better than CoD. I've been a player of CoD4 and Cod6 for years now but it gets boring after sometime. The eye-candy is just comes second for gameplay. Without gameplay even if you have the eye-candy its nothing.

G

What a load of Crap about gameplay ,it's about about reduced development costs and turn around times LOL and increased profitablity ,this is antivision afterall , DX11 a luxury ?3d support ?three screen support? wow so let me get this straight they lick and stick the server browser from COD4 ,then threw the server files at us and that's there idea of a dedicated team to support pc,what a bunch of wankers.

battlefield 3 that is all.

G

"Same engine from cod4 and they've made how many games out of it."

Actually the same engine as CoD2. They're trying to tart up an old dog with bells and whistles so people with low attention spans keep throwing mom and dad's money at it. I don't see how anyone would pay $60+ for an expansion pack. That's what this is, right? Same sound effects (no occlusion), same knife, same voice-overs. I'm not seeing anything new from CoD4 besides a couple new animations and you can play dress-up with your rifle.

No thanks. I need more than new maps to get back into this series.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]mayerconcepcion92[/nom]I just got a $829.99 iPad2 for only $103.37 and my mom got a $1499.99 HDTV for only $251.92, they are both coming with USPS tomorrow. I would be an idiot to ever pay full retail prices at places like Walmart or Bestbuy. I sold a 37" HDTV to my boss for $600 that I only paid $78.24 for. I use PennyOrder.com[/citation]

Was the iPAD made out of wood and from the back of a car trunk?

G

no if they would get rid of the lag switch cheaters, er I mean connection errors that would help game play more than any graphical improvement.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
What IT REALLY MEANS is that they are 100% focus on making as much profic as possible . Did you know that they made billions of Downloadable content? thats rediculous !! MF3 gives us graphics that we deserved for a long time while trying to give us a great campain and multiplayer experience.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
These comments are funny. Game play is not important, only graphics?? What's wrong with you guys?

The graphics are not a game. If so, go look at a poster if all you want is graphics. I want better game play. MW2 was good and had some good ideas, but the execution was poor. I never heard anyone really complain about the graphics, it was all about the game mechanics. Improve game play and the game mechanics, and you have a really good game.

G

Activison has given PC gamers more than the console gamers (i.e. Dedicated servers, mods, HD recording in BO, non-ranked matches, etc...), and you still find a reason to bitch about it? Typical.

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
All I heard was Excuse excuse excuse, we can't do that and we don't care because millions will buy it and we don't have to change a damn thing!

G

Yeah bf3 looks great and its sense of scale is overwhelming, but ama-aka-phantom has a point. Wat else is it about bf3 that so good. U keep saying that CoD has the same gameplay, well so does bf. I'm not seeing many changes since bf2 and the bad company series. Ur still shooting at people and driving vehicles, stuff you've been doing since bf1942 etc. Its just tweaks and a better visual experience with a few changes, just like ANY sequel to ANY game, so stop hating on a series because it eclipsed ur own and ur sick of all the fanboys and hype which surround it. CoD obviously did something right if it has such a large fanbase. So stop ur bitchin. You complain about how CoD is full of little immature 10yr old prepubescent boys yet every thread and website with CoD reviews on it I visit (and I go on alot,) all I see in the comments are the bf3 fanboys saying how shit CoD is without providing any valid arguements or reasons. They're just trollin, so really who are the immature ones? Not saying that the same isnt coming from the CoD fanboys. Just stating that most of the flack is coming from the bf fanboys, which is sad to see. DICE said that this was the true sequel to BF2, even though there have been several expansions and other games under the Battlefield name, whoa wait, am I talking about CoD or BF here??? Who's game is now starting to sound a bit like the one they've been dishing out so much shit on? Cod's gameplay is recyaled and repetitive? Well so is BF's. It's the same formula, but with a nice graphical touch and some new features. The only reason the whole MW3 vs BF3 is happening is because that, unlike Medal of Honour, which EA said would overthrow CoD (which it didnt), BF3 has been hyped up as large and extravagntly as CoD has and also because that they're calling it the "true" sequel to BF2, even though the gameplay, HUD, graphics etc. look very similar (improved) but similar to that of BF bad company 2's. So wat's it really sequel to. MW3 = MW2.5? Well BF3 = BFBC2.5. So stop all ur hatin.

And who cares about the graphic and hardware properties? Most games aren't made to be PC pushers these days anyway. And they've done pretty well making a game with an engine which is apprantlY over 12 years old. Still relatively good graphics compared to most other games out there. And yes, they've milked CoD over the past few years. But thats Activision, the publisher, not the actual developers. And to me, this is the last of the modern warfare series and this may be CoDs last game to bask in the limelight and glory of the mainstream gaming world. So if it is, send it out with a bang, and the send off it deserves. Dont laugh at it and diss its developers and fans by saying how it got beaten by a game where in the same time it took to make a "true" sequel, Cod dished out 4 blockbuster hits and took the gaming world by storm. Peace out.

G

It's not the same infinity ward that made mw2 and like the last game this one will have tons of hacking in it just like mw2 and just like black ops.....not out to buy a game full of cheaters no matter how much they hype it up to appeal to the brain dead masses of sheep

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
The multiplayer doesn't look fun...reminds me of halo, just that it's not halo, which sucks, frankly.

Lol no DX11 because consoles cant support it.

G

--When it was put to him on Twitter that "someone just needs to spend the $ and construct a new engine for the CoD franchise... Ground up," Bowling replied: "That would be counter productive. An engine takes years and years to develop and get right."--

CoD fanboys will buy anything Activision makes - even if they don't change a thing. This series is turning into Madden. Make a new map, draw a new gun (but use the same sounds) and the sheep will buy it. More profit for the big A.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I just wonder why the hell CoD is so popular on consoles. It's an FPS. And you can't aim on consoles. So how do you play? :D

As I said, I'm not putting graphics first; storyline and gameplay come first... WITH accordingly decent graphics! Can't have good immersion in game without proper graphics (and sound, too!) But since the storyline usually sucks in CoD, I don't even care what kind of graphics it has.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
A true gamer...a competitive gamer does not care about graphics. A real gamer wants good gameplay and fun team play. Go ask any athlete if they care about how nice their uniforms are or how bigand nice their field is....they just want to play and will play anywhere, anytime. They don't bitch like all the fan-boys and kiddos. If you are a gamer, you play the game and try to win. PERIOD. If you find yourself complaining about graphics and engine...you probably need to get out more and socialize.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]We got DX11 pack for Crysis 2, after all. I somehow had exactly the opposite experience with that game: looked great even with DX9, but gameplay... meh. I never finished it, but I will... once. Crysis Warhead > Crysis > Crysis 2 in terms of fun gameplay. Warhead was great...@BF3 fans: I know the game is highly anticipated, but please, can someone explain me what's so special about it? They promised you great graphics, but is that all you'll settle for? Want another Crysis 2? I've played BF2... and dropped out after 30 minutes. Maybe the game gets fun later, I'll finish it once, too, but seriously... so far, it was no different from Call of Duty, just better graphics. What's gonna be so great about BF3, can someone explain? Don't go hating, just explain... did I miss a demo or something that makes it stand out? I really don't get it!Though, just a good FPS with kick-ass graphics can't hurt. P.S. There was ONE great difference between BF2 and CoD... no dumb-ass enemy respawn all the time in BF2![/citation]

you dropped out of bf2 after 30 minutes, more people play bf2 today than bfbc2. Think about that? maybe Battlefield isn't your cup of tea or maybe you didn't get to play it right?

bf2 takes more than 30 minutes to figure out and the unlocks come slow...you really missed out. BF3 is the sequel to bf2...lots of people been waiting for that.
what's special about it? well we get more of the gameplay we like with new tech and new content. that's good enough for me. also the new tecfh isn't just eye candy, it changes how the game is played. bf2 has no destruction, no hdr sound, no ANT animation. those things change how the game is played.

did you play bfbc2?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Your argument is flawed already. I'm a true gamer, but I'm not "competitive". I play for immersion, so I will bitch about immersion being broken by shitty graphics. I honestly don't care whether I'm better at fragging people in multiplayer (though I DO enjoy a good LAN match in Dawn of War or custom WC3 map), I have better things to do with my time. Not saying MP is bad... it's just my preference not to play it... but the point is that your conception of a "true gamer" is messed up. Odds are that you're a console player. Am I right? In this case, try any of your console stuff on a good PC and then tell us if you still wanna come back to the shitty dumbed down blurry jerky console graphics. You might not care about graphics, but why purposefully go for worse?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I actually meant BFBC2. Don't get me wrong, I didn't say the game sucks! It was, as you said, just not my cup of tea (and playing it right after MW1/2... I've simply had enough war FPS at that time). I'll still finish it some time and am sure it will get better, and I'll get BF3, too. It's just if the game doesn't catch me in the first 30-80 minutes, I delay it; doesn't mean it's bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.