Question "call was rejected by callee" error while trying to open an audio file?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Tried opening an old .wav file and received an error message with the file path and this single phrase "call was rejected by callee". No other codes or indications of what it meant. Googling it mostly lists errors relating to Excel and other programs.

What does this mean?

Also after it gave me the error I tried clicking again and it opened.

Tried opening an old .wav file and received an error message with the file path and this single phrase "call was rejected by callee". No other codes or indications of what it meant. Googling it mostly lists errors relating to Excel and other programs.

What does this mean?

Also after it gave me the error I tried clicking again and it opened.
First obvious question: how was the wav file created and is that application still available? Second obvious question: what software are you using to try and play back the wav file? Random thought: you could try downloading and using the free Audacity sound editing software.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
First obvious question: how was the wav file created and is that application still available? Second obvious question: what software are you using to try and play back the wav file? Random thought: you could try downloading and using the free Audacity sound editing software.

It was dragged and dropped from a sony field recorder along with 100's of other files years ago and has been transferred from a few systems.
I was just clicking through the wav's and skimming them to label them. They open with windows media player. Got to this one and got the error.

I do music production. What are you suggesting I get audacity for? Just editing? That's not needed. Just curious what this error could mean.

It was dragged and dropped from a sony field recorder along with 100's of other files years ago and has been transferred from a few systems.
I was just clicking through the wav's and skimming them to label them. They open with windows media player. Got to this one and got the error.

I do music production. What are you suggesting I get audacity for? Just editing? That's not needed. Just curious what this error could mean.
I would try opening the file in a few other programs like Audacity, Media Player Classic Home Cinema, maybe even VLC. Or you can just accept it as corrupted beyond fixing.