Question Can’t get anything to display on monitor

AcyanidePancake

Reputable
May 19, 2019
Just as a side note this is my first pc build so I may have overlooked something.

Alright so I finally got my pc built. Turned it on and it worked and then I realized that nothing was appearing on the screen so I tried to switch the hdmi cable to port 2, tried getting a new cable, turning the pc off and on, and everything I could think of. Nothing worked. I asked a friend who knew about computers and he said I might have to flash bios witch is something I have been trying to avoid. Because I have absolutely no clue how to flash and all the tutorials I could find are awfully Hard to follow.

My specs are

Corsair rm850x power supply

Z390 aurus pro WiFi MOBO

PCI-e network adapter (because I was told it would work better than the MOBO WiFi )

Intel i9 9900k 3.6 GHz unlocked cpu

Corsair h100i platinum aio cooling system

ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB memory OC edition

Samsung 500gb ssd

2 8GB RIPJAW ram sticks

About a week ago I had a different motherboard and it worked fine with all of these but it was an amd 470x and a ryzen 3 cpu (note I didn’t have the graphics card at the time or the aio cooling) I returned it because I wanted intel instead and boom now nothing works. I really hope that you guys can help me and thanks in advance.

First thing:
Check all your cable connections. Make sure all required cables are plugged in correctly. (24 pin MB, CPU 8+4 power, drive cables, cooling fans).
Is your memory properly and fully seated?
Is your video card properly and fully seated? (z370 gaming 7 required removal of the plastic cover over the sound circuitry to fully seat some 1080Ti 's)
Are your fans spinning up?

How far are you getting ? Not even a BIOS screen?
System seems to be booting then fails?

System speaker hooked up? any beep codes?

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Is your HDMI cable plugged into the port on the motherboard or from the GPU?

If its plugged in to the mobo, plug it in to the GPU. It will be different to the old setup where you say you didn't have a GPU.

AcyanidePancake

Reputable
May 19, 2019
Is your HDMI cable plugged into the port on the motherboard or from the GPU?

If its plugged in to the mobo, plug it in to the GPU. It will be different to the old setup where you say you didn't have a GPU.

It’s plugged into the mobo, I didn’t see anything. To plug it into on the graphics card. Still don’t

AcyanidePancake

Reputable
May 19, 2019
First thing:
Check all your cable connections. Make sure all required cables are plugged in correctly. (24 pin MB, CPU 8+4 power, drive cables, cooling fans).
Is your memory properly and fully seated?
Is your video card properly and fully seated? (z370 gaming 7 required removal of the plastic cover over the sound circuitry to fully seat some 1080Ti 's)
Are your fans spinning up?

How far are you getting ? Not even a BIOS screen?
System seems to be booting then fails?

System speaker hooked up? any beep codes?
Yes everything is booting up and working, all the fans are spinning. I can only assume that bios is working as well but I can’t tell because I can’t get anything to display on the monitor

AcyanidePancake

Reputable
May 19, 2019
I took of the GPU out real quick to try to find what you guys were talking about and I found 2 4-pin slots and a red 4 pin slot I don’t know about those but I don’t see an hdmi port anywhere

Did you simply plug in your boot drive after the AMD to Intel swap?

What windows install medium do you have ? Bootable USB?

If you cannot get any video at any time, recommend taking it down to bare hardware to get the BIOS up on screen, this would entail:
Power off:
Pulling the 2080ti out of the system.
Pull any other add in cards out of the system
Disconnect any and all SSD's and hard drives.
Connect the monitor to the motherboard's video

Try to boot :
No display? CMOS reset

The goal is to test base hardware and get something on screen, even if its a message that booting failed.

From asus specs it has 2x display ports and 2x hdmi and 1x usb type c.
But you said you couldn't see what to plug into.
The display ports are next to each other
And the hdmi's 1 next to the display's with the 2nd hdmi on top or over it.

Can you post a picture of those ports?

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
I took of the GPU out real quick to try to find what you guys were talking about and I found 2 4-pin slots and a red 4 pin slot I don’t know about those but I don’t see an hdmi port anywhere

On the output panel on the GPU that goes outward of your case there will be multiple outputs (might all be Display Port or might have 1 HDMI) they might have plastic "plugs" in them for transit protection.

Bottom line is that with the GPU plugged in you won't get a video signal from the mobo. Take the GPU out with the HDMI connected to the mobo and see if that works.

AcyanidePancake

Reputable
May 19, 2019
ok so I tried the ideas that you guys suggested and the one that worked was from greigm78 and that was taking the graphics card out and plugging the hdmi into the mobo, just like that I was able to see everything but the quality was awful. But now I'm not sure how to get the graphics card to work at this point if I cant even plug it into the motherboard without it giving me a blank screen.

Last edited:

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Is the GPU powered up using the required 2 x PCI 8 pin connections when you insert the card in to the PCIe slot?

On the card's outward facing panel there will be an HDMI port. Plug the cable in to that and with the card power plugged in, power the system on.

What do you mean by "the quality was awful"? Was it the BIOS screen? Awful in what way?

Last edited:

AcyanidePancake

Reputable
May 19, 2019
i mean that the system was using the on board graphics. so the quality was poor. note i wasn't using the graphics card.

and yes i did get the graphics card plugged in and it turned on. still nothing on the screen however

and just out of curiosity, is the hdmi port protected by a black plug on the side of the card?

Last edited:

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Yes, they often put plugs in them to prevent transit damage.
You can remove the plastic plug and install the card as you did before, then connect the HDMI cable to the GPU port and to the monitor and that should work fine.