Question Can’t get friends rig to boot.

Jul 3, 2019
Okay, so I’m helping my friend with his build and it doesn’t want to boot. The specs are..

Board - MSI Tomahawk 450
CPU - 2700x
RAM - Ballistix 3200
PSU - Rosewill RD700
GPU - Radeon 5700

I’ve checked the GPU with my build and it seemed to work fine. I’m seeing the red CPU light on the board. Does this mesn it’s not recognizing the CPU? Any help would be great.

It's possible the bios needs updating for the R2700x, but I would have thought the B450 would take it out of the box with no problems.

If you have a Ryzen build, with a 1st gen CPU you could swap them over, update the bios, and then retry the 2700x.

Try booting with just one stick of ram, and make sure it's not that, but considering it's the CPU error showing, I suspect it could be the bios isn't new enough for the newer gen CPU.

Jul 3, 2019
It's possible the bios needs updating for the R2700x, but I would have thought the B450 would take it out of the box with no problems.

If you have a Ryzen build, with a 1st gen CPU you could swap them over, update the bios, and then retry the 2700x.

Try booting with just one stick of ram, and make sure it's not that, but considering it's the CPU error showing, I suspect it could be the bios isn't new enough for the newer gen CPU.

Okay! So if I put a 1700x, I should be able to?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
That motherboard supports the 2700x since the very first BIOS so that should be fine.
I would check the CPU cooler and CPU cooler fan and make sure they are properly installed.
If the cooler is too tight or too loose it could cause that problem.
Also if the cooler fan isn't connected to the CPU_Fan header that will cause the same issue as well.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Okay! So if I put a 1700x, I should be able to?

Like I said, and DMANN999 also mentioned, the B450 should take it out of the box. However, it's an option to try. To answer the question, yes, a Ryzen 1700x would be fine to try it out.

However, your PSU is on the weak side. It's quite possible it's near dead, and isn't providing any power to start up your system. Can you swap out a PSU to see? It's a cheap PSU, has no rating, and a 1 yr warranty. In other words, complete pants!

I'd get a new PSU in there asap, regardless of the outcome of this thread.

That motherboard supports the 2700x since the very first BIOS so that should be fine.
I would check the CPU cooler and CPU cooler fan and make sure they are properly installed.
If the cooler is too tight or too loose it could cause that problem.
Also if the cooler fan isn't connected to the CPU_Fan header that will cause the same issue as well.

Can't disagree DMAN999. Good call. Another thing to look at.

Reactions: DMAN999

VADemon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
Connect the PC speaker, it should play some tones - then proceed with the manual.
I'd not rule out the possibility of poorly seated RAM, it's easy to not put it in properly if you're unexperienced - happened to me a couple of times.

I’m seeing the red CPU light on the board. Does this mesn it’s not recognizing the CPU?
It means you should check out the manual ;)

Jul 3, 2019
Okay, so I started working on it again, and I got the red cpu light to go away (faulty cable). However, now the other 3 leds are on (boot, VGA, Dram).

Fall to a single RAM stick in required/recommended slot (normally 2nd closest to CPU); with power removed, clear CMOS, or pull CMOS battery and hit/hold power switch a few times to drain any residual charge) Reinsert battery, try a power up with a single RAM stick...give it a few minutes, often the initial POST display can be time consuming as the BIOS 'inventories it's assets'/collects it's common sense...