Question can’t install spring lock screw’s from cpu fan, help?

Oct 5, 2023
sorry if i’m doing this wrong, i never posted on a forum before ^^^
my boyfriend recently ordered me a new cpu for my computer, i had a ryzen 3 1200 and he got me an amd 5 5600. i had no trouble installing the cpu, however, i cant seem to screw in the fan. he said that the screws are ‘spring locked’ and i have to add a little pressure down to begin screwing it in. no matter how hard i press down, i cant get it to budge at all (probably because im just not strong enough lol). i’m also worried about pressing too hard and damaging the motherboard, so i tried pressing down the screws with the fan detached from everything, and i still couldn’t get it to move. is there anything i can do to make it easier to screw?? (image below)
QfzlC1k.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The term is spring loaded meaning that the screws tension is added with the aid of the spring. You will need to screw each end in a criss-cross pattern, and you don't screw down one screw all the way, only a few turns to get it started and then move to the next screw across. Once you've gotten 4 screws latching onto the motherboard backplate, you can begin tightening all 4 screws.

Reactions: dudio