Can a 80 plus platium 460w psu work with a non overclocked i7-6700k and gtx 1070

Nov 12, 2018
I have a Seasonic 460w fanless psu that has a 80 plus platinum rating and currently have a i7-6700k and a gtx 1060 6gb. I was wondering if since i have a higher grade 460w power supply with a better efficiency rating could my psu handle an upgrade to a 1070 without upgrading my psu. I would upgrade it but it would cost an arm and a leg to get a 500w fanless psu. Also, just fyi, the reason i need a fanless is because every power supply i have ever gotten with a fan has nearly driven me crazy with the noise, i have extremely sensitive hearing you see, i even added a near silent after market cooler to my 1060 because the stock cooler it had sounded like i was sitting next to a jet engine. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

Solution
It would work. But you could simply get a larger PSU that wouldn't get very hot with a full load from your system, thus not requiring the fan to spin very fast at all. The only time I actually noticed a fan on a power supply was when I hooked up several GPUs on a mining rig and was using well over half the rated wattage.

750W+ good quality PSU and you wouldn't hear the fan with your system.
It would work. But you could simply get a larger PSU that wouldn't get very hot with a full load from your system, thus not requiring the fan to spin very fast at all. The only time I actually noticed a fan on a power supply was when I hooked up several GPUs on a mining rig and was using well over half the rated wattage.

750W+ good quality PSU and you wouldn't hear the fan with your system.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
6700K rated at 91W, let's say it goes overboard and hits 120W.

GTX 1070 rated at 150W, and let's say it goes overboard and hits 180W.

That's 300W.

If this is the PSU you have: http://www2.seasonic.com/product/platinum-460/

then you've got 456W on the 12V rail, so, your system running flat out pushed to the limit would still have 156W available for the motherboard, RAM, fans, drives, etc.

I'd say your existing PSU is well up to the task.