[SOLVED] Can a broken CPU affect the motherboard

Oct 17, 2020
My friend gave me a ryzen 3600x a while ago along with a motherboard. It didn’t work and I’m not sure if it was the motherboard or the CPU but my friend thinks the cpu is broken and also caused the motherboard to break.
I now have a tomahawk 450 max and want to try the 3600x out my friend gave me. So my main question is, is there a chance it could break my new board?

Solution
Yes, CPU could be shorted. VRMs should protect the system, but there is no guarantee.

I suggest buying the cheapest A series board that will support the CPU to test it, or pay to have it tested at a computer shop to avoid damaging your nice B450 board.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, CPU could be shorted. VRMs should protect the system, but there is no guarantee.

I suggest buying the cheapest A series board that will support the CPU to test it, or pay to have it tested at a computer shop to avoid damaging your nice B450 board.

Solution
Oct 17, 2020

Yeah it’s not worth the risk, thanks for informing me