Question Can a case cause power problems?

csnyder1582

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I know it sounds weird, and I agree it is, but I'm at a loss. I've had an issue over the past year of my computer just going black. It's not restarting, but it's also not shutting off - rather just goes black and also turns off my keyboard and mouse. The reason I'm thinking it's the case is because that's the only thing I haven't replaced. In the last 6 months I have replaced the motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU, SSD, PSU...aside from the case it's all brand new. The problem occurred before upgrading everything, so I know it's not like I didn't connect the case cables correctly.

Is it even possible for a case to be the problem?

rag0n

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
I am pretty sure its not the case. If you want to get it out of your mind just disconnect everything from the case to the motheroard and start your pc by shortcutting the power pins. See if it happens again. Can't think of anything causing such thing (maybe a damaged cable of front panel audio or usb) so rule it out.
I see you didnt upgrade your motherboard (maybe a motherboard issue or bios one?) how many years after first building your pc did this start happening. Did you upgrade your bios? Did you try a CMOS reset?
Please provide your specific parts so i can be of more help.

csnyder1582

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
The motherboard was the first item listed ;)

I hadn't thought maybe one of the front panel cables could be damaged. It's hard to replicate because it only seems to happen maybe a couple times a month.

rag0n

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Sorry my bad about the motherboard. Check the cables or any old fans in there. I have also read about bugs with bios versions that won't let you out of sleep mode unless you reboot. Check your bios version's known issues. It's not entirely impossible that your new configuration causes a problem similar to your old one.

csnyder1582

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
If the BIOS for the new board is causing the same issue I had with my old board I'll just cry, lol. Did the bug you read about also force the computer into sleep mode? I generally don't even use it.

Last edited:

rag0n

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
No but i don't know your power options. In any case the first thing i would do is cmos clear and bios update. Then i would check any peripherals that may cause such probles especially ones you had from your previous build