[SOLVED] Can a cheap $20-30 4.5 star PSU power any 50W device without blowing up or wearing out quickly?

s355

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Which is better: this or that? The device that I'm powering will be planned later. Powerful and expensive PSUs are a waste of money and power for me because they're more inefficent at 50W.

logainofhades

Titan
Both garbage!

Garbage is too kind of a word, for those things, especially Logisys. Spend a little more and get something that won't burn your house down. This isn't the greatest unit, but far better quality than those so called PSU's.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $34.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-23 15:53 EDT-0400

Just because you have a light load and the PSU might not explode doesn't make it a good idea.

You can get a much better PSU for cheap. The efficiency will be strong relative to the units linked since these are 80+ Bronze.
https://www.newegg.com/evga-450-br-100-br-0450-k1-450w/p/N82E16817438144
Amazon.com: Corsair CV Series, CV550, 550 Watt, 80+ Bronze Certified, Fixed Cable Power Supply (CP-9020210-NA): Computers & Accessories
Not the absolute best units on planet earth for sure, but plenty fine for a low end computer.
Edit: just realised those are 3rd party sellers. and changed links.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Without knowing what you are planning to use these for, it's almost pointless to discuss.

Obviously PC power supplies put out an amount of voltage/amperage to rails of different ratings. 12V/5V, etc.

If you are looking to do some science experiment and don't need all the voltages, purchasing a step down transformer, or AC/DC converter, etc. are going to be cheaper and more reliable.

If you are doing a PC, even a cheap one, try to at least purchase a cheepy one that is a brand you recognize. I also suggest trying to target no more than around 50-60% of RATED output. (It's a really good idea to double check that on cheap ones too). At least this way you have the illusion of some manner of warranty.
As a for instance, I purchased quite a few of the really poor quality refurbished EVGA 600W white units. They were $25 and I utilized them on systems with average draw in the 2-300's. I won't say they were trouble free in the long run, but they were cheap.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
i wouldn't trust any of those enough to even use as a doorstop.

The way you generate those fancy reviews is by shipping random garbage to random people. Once you have proof of shipping the product (the package of course doesn't contain anything of value, normally random seeds, can opener, bottle caps crap like that). They will pose as a buyer with throw away email account and post a review as verified customer. One of the oldest scamms around. Pretty much that's what all those random unsolicted packages you never ordered are about.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Short answer: yes.
You don't need a $2000 PSU to power up some LEDs, fans or whatever.

no you really don't need 2 grand for PSU to power a few leds, but there are many better options under 50 bucks that have proper IP rating and don't come with risk of burning down your house while you are at work and your led strips are flashing up your front porch