[SOLVED] Can a cheap $20-30 4.5 star PSU power any 50W device without blowing up or wearing out quickly?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

s355

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Which is better: this or that? The device that I'm powering will be planned later. Powerful and expensive PSUs are a waste of money and power for me because they're more inefficent at 50W.

USAFRet

Titan
Short answer: yes.
You don't need a $2000 PSU to power up some LEDs, fans or whatever.
Initially:
"The device that I'm powering will be planned later "

Later:
"Probably a cheap PC or a laptop motherboard of unknown make and model that I got in the mail via 12V to 19V adapter. If for the laptop, the power jack is missing. "

So...the actual answer is a resounding No.

s355

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Without knowing what you are planning to use these for, it's almost pointless to discuss.

Obviously PC power supplies put out an amount of voltage/amperage to rails of different ratings. 12V/5V, etc.

If you are looking to do some science experiment and don't need all the voltages, purchasing a step down transformer, or AC/DC converter, etc. are going to be cheaper and more reliable.

If you are doing a PC, even a cheap one, try to at least purchase a cheepy one that is a brand you recognize. I also suggest trying to target no more than around 50-60% of RATED output. (It's a really good idea to double check that on cheap ones too). At least this way you have the illusion of some manner of warranty.
As a for instance, I purchased quite a few of the really poor quality refurbished EVGA 600W white units. They were $25 and I utilized them on systems with average draw in the 2-300's. I won't say they were trouble free in the long run, but they were cheap.
I decided at last. I have a 486 motherboard with a Sound Blaster soundcard that I want to power. But only the cheap PSUs output -5V.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
I decided at last. I have a 486 motherboard with a Sound Blaster soundcard that I want to power. But only the cheap PSUs output -5V.

In that case you need an AT power supply ( not to be confused with ATX )

pcps5.jpg

Now AT PSU's are very hard to come by, at least in good condition anyway.
There are plenty of ATX to AT cable harness cable kits. which , even when wired correctly can be a cause of great dissapointment.

Should you decide to take the conversion way, you should take a peek at this project:

https://github.com/x86fr/ATX2AT-Smart-Converter

Last edited: