Can a computer start up bios without ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaclavell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Hello, I tried today to boot up my system with no ram installed I just wanted to check if it works. I have a ma785gm us2h motherboard amdx6 phenom 1075t I did not get any video display I would like to know if this is normal. I hear no beeps.

Solution
Yes, this is normal. Without RAM, you cannot get a display. Furthermore, if you don't have a motherboard speaker installed, you will not hear the associated beeps indicating that RAM was not present in the POST. You should get a motherboard speaker; it is an invaluable tool in diagnosing your computer.
Yes, this is normal. Without RAM, you cannot get a display. Furthermore, if you don't have a motherboard speaker installed, you will not hear the associated beeps indicating that RAM was not present in the POST. You should get a motherboard speaker; it is an invaluable tool in diagnosing your computer.

Solution
Motherboard speakers are very inexpensive and can typically be found in computer hardware stores, such as Fry's or Microcenter. If there aren't any shops in your area, just do a google search for "motherboard speaker". You'll find a plethora of options.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

Don't know about you but my MB came with a speaker.
Also good post, I was building my own PC too and was wondering about this.

Myles_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

What if you substituted the built in sticks with a USB Drive? Even though most of the times theyre recognized as STORAGE, in a sense, that could work, right?

D_B_8

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
^ no and you'll understand why if you do some basic research on memory types (plus computers' lack of psychic adaptiveness). that really wasn't worth bumping a 4yr old thread

Multi-Headed Snake

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017

It usually comes with the case. I got some random deepcool case for about 25 dollars and it came with one, so you shouldn't have a problem finding one

5715365mm

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

Hello, Yes your ram could be dead but did you check your signal connection to your video card? It is possible that your connection to your graphics card has be tempered with or has broken! Try fiddling around in the back of your computer to try and fix the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.