[SOLVED] Can a desktop computer create a Wi-Fi hotspot?

Gondvanaz

Honorable
Nov 25, 2014
Can a desktop computer create a Wi-Fi hotspot the way mobile phones do? If yes, how? Does it have something to do with the wireless LAN cards some motherboards have?

Solution
Yes it can, provided you have a wireless adapter that supports software based Access Point(or AP for short). I would advise against using your motherboard's WiFi card as an AP to not put stress on the card. In fact, you're better off just getting a router or an AP for your household/room.

Lutfij

Titan
Yes it can, provided you have a wireless adapter that supports software based Access Point(or AP for short). I would advise against using your motherboard's WiFi card as an AP to not put stress on the card. In fact, you're better off just getting a router or an AP for your household/room.

Solution
Unless you just want to do this for fun I would agree just buy a inexpensive AP or router. It is pretty much just configuration options to do it but why would you take a expensvie pc and make it into a inferior wifi AP. You have to be very careful what you run on the pc when you do this to not disrupt the traffic. You can likely get a quality used router or AP for $20 or a new one for $50.