Question Can a DP to DVI cable damage my GPU?

Redthirst

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
I'm buying a new GPU and I want connect my old DVI monitor through a DVI to DP cable. I know about the pin 20 issues that can cause damage to GPUs, but I've heard that it's only an issue with DP to DP cables. Is that true? Am I going to be safe seeing how the pins in my cable aren't directly connected?

And I know that certified cables exist, but I had a hard time finding a certified DVI to DP cable where I'm from. It's a fairly niche product these days.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
I'm not very familiar with DVI to DP cable, but I do know that you can get a cable to convert VGA to DP.

So if you monitor has a VGA input and your GPU card has a DP output, then you can choose this option instead; I have been using this cable for almost two years now, so it should be safe.

Redthirst

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016

Redthirst

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
You're thinking the wrong way. If you want to connect a DVI monitor to DP on the GPU you need a DP to DVI cable. If you have a cable like that it's gonna work without any problem.
Yeah, it was just me mixing it up. What I meant was specifically a male to male cable, with the DVI end going into the display and DP end connecting to the GPU.

It's just after hearing all those "cheap DP cables can kill your GPU" that I got really worried about it, but now it seems like the issue is mostly if you're connecting a DP monitor to a DP GPU slot with a cable that has a connected 20-pin wire.

Redthirst

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
I assume yes, the 20 pin issue is due to dodgy

I assume yes. The 20 pin due to dodgy displayport: https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/the-displayport-pin-20-issue-explained/
Yes, that's exactly the article I've read, and it's the only place that explicitly mentions that the 20 pin issue only affects DP to DP connections. While if you have something like DP to DVI, then that 20 pin is actually necessary to give the cable the little energy it needs to convert DP signal into DVI(although with both being digital, I've no idea if it actually needs any conversion).

Specifically, this bit:
Because Pin 20 power is provided by both source and sink devices - or in the case of a PC, the DisplayPort-ready Graphics Card and the DisplayPort-ready Monitor - direct DP to DP connections with an intact Pin 20 connection led to problems when booting up.

Last edited: