[SOLVED] Can a GPU affect CPU performance?

I recently upgraded my GPU from an RX570 to a RTX 2060 and have noticed on Cinebench R20 and on the bench test of CPU-Z Im getting slightly lower scores,(not talking about much,just a few points.) Does this just mean the GPU is taxing a little more of the CPU's performance in order to operate or something else?

Solution
A difference of a few points or basically amounting to less than 1% of what you should expect is within a margin of error. You'd probably see that any way if you tried again on some random day.

The only way a GPU could affect the CPU's performance off the top of my head is if the GPU is working really hard and there's insufficient case airflow to remove the hot air out, causing the CPU to heat up more than it should and limiting its boost potential. But you would've seen that anyway with the 5700 XT if this was the case.
My CB20 scores change evry time I test my CPU. The GPU doesn't make any difference. If your CPU is cooler or warmer will make a difference. And your ram with or without xmp. And any background programs running.
It literally only started happening when I switched GPU's.Like I said,it's not a huge difference but there's definitely been a bit of a drop since, no biggie, was just wondering.

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
Well... not really

So, from what i understand, your GPU is more powerful so... your cpu has to send it more data at any time, meaning that it has less time to do it's own work.

Realistically speaking. Benchmarks aren't real world scenarios. so, you, playing a game aren't gonna be able to tell the difference.
the only way you'll notice anything is different is, as you just did, by reading a bunch of stats

Reactions: kurdtnz
A difference of a few points or basically amounting to less than 1% of what you should expect is within a margin of error. You'd probably see that any way if you tried again on some random day.

The only way a GPU could affect the CPU's performance off the top of my head is if the GPU is working really hard and there's insufficient case airflow to remove the hot air out, causing the CPU to heat up more than it should and limiting its boost potential. But you would've seen that anyway with the 5700 XT if this was the case.

Solution
Your GPU and CPU operate independently of each other except in specific situations like gaming or gaming benchmarks. Your GPU and CPU can bottleneck each other when it comes to gaming performance but that's not a matter of them affecting each other, that's a matter of them affecting the game software.

Your CPU's speed is your CPU's speed, regardless of the GPU that you use. That's why bottlenecking can occur.

Just as a ''for instance,'' you can click on my CPU-Z tag and see I was getting a single thread score of 532 and a multi-thread score of 4374 when I had the RX570 still hooked up but now im getting a score of 525.2 and 4360.9 and it will never score higher than that. Dont get me wrong,I understand in real world applications it doesnt really matter, Ive just been wondering why the drop? To be honest,I dont even know if 532-525.2 and 4374-4360.9 are big drops or will affect performance, just curious.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Dont get me wrong,I understand in real world applications it doesnt really matter, Ive just been wondering why the drop? To be honest,I dont even know if 532-525.2 and 4374-4360.9 are big drops or will affect performance, just curious.
Is this a consistent drop? Because those scores are within 2% of each other. There can be a lot of other factors that can affect the processor when we're talking about scores this close.

And no, this doesn't mean there's going to be big drops in performance.

Is this a consistent drop? Because those scores are within 2% of each other. There can be a lot of other factors that can affect the processor when we're talking about scores this close.

And no, this doesn't mean there's going to be big drops in performance.

Yes,it's been a consistent drop since changing the GPU. Single thread was always hitting above 530, now the highest ive seen it is 526 and the multi thread was always in the 4370's. As I keep saying,I know it's just a tiny drop but it has only been happening since the swap over.

Yes,it's been a consistent drop since changing the GPU. Single thread was always hitting above 530, now the highest ive seen it is 526 and the multi thread was always in the 4370's. As I keep saying,I know it's just a tiny drop but it has only been happening since the swap over.
The only thing I can think of is that NVIDIA's drivers are taking slightly more CPU time, as NVIDIA's GPUs since Kepler require the CPU to do a little more work when feeding it stuff to do.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Just as a ''for instance,'' you can click on my CPU-Z tag and see I was getting a single thread score of 532 and a multi-thread score of 4374 when I had the RX570 still hooked up but now im getting a score of 525.2 and 4360.9 and it will never score higher than that. Dont get me wrong,I understand in real world applications it doesnt really matter, Ive just been wondering why the drop? To be honest,I dont even know if 532-525.2 and 4374-4360.9 are big drops or will affect performance, just curious.
I'd say that's just normal variation.