[SOLVED] Can a malware infect MOBO bios and RAM ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
Best thing to do right now to make sure with 100% that virus is gone is CLEAN INSTALL and with clean install I mean formatting your drive(s). Since you stated you're not a techie guy, but newbie, probably you weren't doing backups as well, so your best shot right now is to do clean install of Windows. If you don't know how to do, google it, or check this website, I'm pretty sure you can find a lot of guides how to do clean install of Windows. Once you install fresh Windows and install your everyday and necessary apps and games you usually use & know for sure they are 100% safe, then make a backup of your drive. You can do it with Macrum Reflect software. There are guides and tutorials how to do backups with it. Good luck.

USAFRet

Titan
And now I mana

OK, I reconnected my hdd and accessed win10 DVD via bios, what should I do ?
Well, we're still trying to determine the level of "problem".
Whether this is an actual "BIOS infection" (unlikely), or a run of the mill Windows ransomware.

Again...with ALL actual storage devices physically disconnected.
No DVD, all hard drives, SSD whatever...physically disconnected.

Power up.
Does this message appear?

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
Well, we're still trying to determine the level of "problem".
Whether this is an actual "BIOS infection" (unlikely), or a run of the mill Windows ransomware.

Again...with ALL actual storage devices physically disconnected.
No DVD, all hard drives, SSD whatever...physically disconnected.

Power up.
Does this message appear?
Disconnected everything, and now the massage is gone !

USAFRet

Titan
Disconnected everything, and now the massage is gone !
So, a standard windows ransomware. Not "BIOS".

In the BIOS, change the boot order...put your DVD first.
Then, boot up from your Win 10 DVD, and do a FULL wipe and reinstall on whatever HDD or SSD you want.
Have only that one drive connected while you do this.
Delete ALL partitions on the drive.

Reactions: Dean0919

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020

Then, boot up from your Win 10 DVD, and do a FULL wipe and reinstall on whatever HDD or SSD you want.

I managed to run startup repair and found some issues, and now I'm in my desktop, everything is Okey except there's a weird file with weird name like 4rty6cv7; and I don't wanna click it .

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
A Windows installation, deleting all existing partitions in the process.

That message window came from somewhere. And now you're seeing oddly named files.

Start from a known clean slate.
I was gonna wipe until malware lbytes quarantined the culprit, it's a file in downloads folder because I forgot to turn on real time protection again after I quit my game.
It's a tool bar installer I think.

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
A Windows installation, deleting all existing partitions in the process.

That message window came from somewhere. And now you're seeing oddly named files.

Start from a known clean slate.
I was gonna wipe until malware lbytes quarantined the culprit, it's a file in downloads folder because I forgot to turn on real time protection again after I quit my game.
It's a tool bar installer I think.

Just read carefully the things written and do them.
The formatting of the disk is the way to make sure things are going to be cleansed fully. Malwarebytes aren't bad, but they are better for dealing with adware and things found in weekly scans, but not so much in cases when someone was able to gain control over your system in the way you described. Don't overestimate them. Well, if you insist on it, and the PC drive has no important data, but instead just games and things for fun, mb go with the antivirus, your choice. But the risk is a risk.

Reactions: Dean0919

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
Just read carefully the things written and do them.
The formatting of the disk is the way to make sure things are going to be cleansed fully. Malwarebytes aren't bad, but they are better for dealing with adware and things found in weekly scans, but not so much in cases when someone was able to gain control over your system in the way you described. Don't overestimate them. Well, if you insist on it, and the PC drive has no important data, but instead just games and things for fun, mb go with the antivirus, your choice. But the risk is a risk.
Okey .

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry, I don't understand? I'm kinda clueless when it comes to ransomwares.
Something caused that dialog box to appear. Some malware.
Are you 100% confident that malwarebytes has identified and gotten rid of ALL of it?

I wouldn't be.

If it were my system, I'd recover from the full drive backup made yesterday or the day before.
If it were a family members PC...full wipe and reinstall of everything.

But, this is your system and data. All up to you as how to proceed.

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
Something caused that dialog box to appear. Some malware.
Are you 100% confident that malwarebytes has identified and gotten rid of ALL of it?

I wouldn't be.

If it were my system, I'd recover from the full drive backup made yesterday or the day before.
If it were a family members PC...full wipe and reinstall of everything.

But, this is your system and data. All up to you as how to proceed.
Solved the issue, finally.
But is there any program that backups my data other than just copy and paste before I fully wipe just to make sure that file didn't breed more ransomwared .

USAFRet

Titan
Solved the issue, finally.
But is there any program that backups my data other than just copy and paste before I fully wipe just to make sure that file didn't breed more ransomwared .
Not really.
There is no way for any 'backup thing' to clean malware in the process.

Backups are what you do before the system gets infected or breaks.
My house systems are backed up every night, all drives. In case of need, I could roll back a day or two. Or a week. Or a month.

Try running Linux on a Live DVD (free to download on another computer). Run it in trial mode which takes time to load, be patient.
You can see files in your HDD from there, but nothing can run. Look for files you don't recognize, and check properties to see if they were created when your problem started. Try to delete them.