Question Can a NVidia RTX 4060 boot using CSM/Legacy?

NVamp

Prominent
Oct 18, 2022
My current GPU has a problem as it does not want to boot using UEFI, it says that it has a UEFI support on GPU-Z. If it try changing the boot mode in BIOS to UEFI it boots and gives me a display that says my GPU has no GOP and it automatically switches back to CSM/UEFI, for more context my Windows install is already ready for UEFI. My current GPU is a AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB from Gigabyte. I plan to upgrade to the RTX 4060 as it is what is available in my region and is all my budget allows for now, but I know I have to use DDU to remove the AMD drivers before I use the new card my problem is if the RTX 4060 cannot boot using CSM/Legacy how will I be able to switch the boot mode as it is not an option with my current card, because it will just switch it back to CSM to boot. I have integrated graphics which I also cannot use now as they also require UEFI and are not at all usable, I do not know if there is a way I could have my pc boot with integrated?

NVamp

Prominent
Oct 18, 2022
just switch the card, if it doesn´t boot, reset the BIos by jumper and try again
Thank you so much for answering I have been struggling to get an answer on all forums. Can I instead remove the CMOS battery to reset the bios as it is a new motherboard it is a MSI A620M-E?

NVamp

Prominent
Oct 18, 2022
it´s the safest way to reset, but removing and inserting back the battery can work as well
have a look into the manual on page 36
JBAT1: Clear CMOS (Reset BIOS) Jumper

your previous problem might be a not up to date BIOS
Thank you I will check it out. Are you refering to the no GOP error I was experiencing?

NVamp

Prominent
Oct 18, 2022
BIOS version GOP/GPU incompatibility, yes
I can check tomorrow as I will buy the new GPU tomorrow, but I did upgrade the BIOS to the newest when I got this GPU and it didn't work. As for the clear CMOS pins can I just use a screwdriver or something as I don't have the motherboard box with me?

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
First thing is to disconnect your PSU from power.
After that you either short the pins for CMOS clear OR you remove the battery.
One of that will do the trick.
Only after that you put back the power cord into the PSU.