[SOLVED] Can a processor affect internet?

Dbish23

Prominent
Apr 5, 2019
If a processor is slightly damaged, can it cause what seem like network connectivity issues?

Webpages do not fully load, sometimes they will after enough refreshes. Sometimes they'll load and then crash. Downloading files results in it failing because of a network error. With enough restarts it will eventually download. Installer files fail if they have to download files.

Things I've ruled out.
Modem, router, wireless USB, and cable. (The other computers on the network are fine)
Motherboards (I've tried 3 z390s and 1 z360)
I've done multiple clean window installs.
Drivers and BIOS up to date

Solution
Yes it can, but so can memory, or a bad nic or bad wifi.

I would boot a linux live cd and see what that does. If you have issues there, I'd try the wired connection and see if that solves it. If it does, bad wifi adapter. If it doesn't, bad something else.

I would boot a linux live cd and see what that does. If you have issues there, I'd try the wired connection and see if that solves it. If it does, bad wifi adapter. If it doesn't, bad something else.

Solution

Dbish23

Prominent
Apr 5, 2019

Okay, thank you. I appreciate the help.

I ran a memory test and it said everything was okay.
The NICs should be fine unless I've had really bad luck. I've installed four different motherboards and the problem has persisted.
The wired connection and adapter I've tested on other computers on my network. They didn't have the same problems.

Ralston18

Titan
Windows 10?

After a few tries and failures (crashes) look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

There may be some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the crashes.

Another diagnostic path would be to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use just one or the other - not both at the same time.

First observe while the system is idling. Then observe during a download - you may spot something that is not as it should be or otherwise unexpected.

Reactions: SamirD
Okay, thank you. I appreciate the help.

I ran a memory test and it said everything was okay.
The NICs should be fine unless I've had really bad luck. I've installed four different motherboards and the problem has persisted.
The wired connection and adapter I've tested on other computers on my network. They didn't have the same problems.
Boot a linux live cd and check for the issue there.

TRENDING THREADS