Question Can a PSU and a UPS protect a PC from voltage spikes/Electrical Overload on the socket?

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I have an air conditioner that periodically makes a clicking noise that causes my monitor to lose its image for a second (this also causes the light in my room to flicker for a sec). I'm not concerned about my monitor as much as I am concerned about my PC. the PC seems to be utterly unaffected by this (when this happens I notice no stuttering or any other visible issues that could indicate a problem with the PC)

Specs: Rog strix 650W PSU Rx 6650 xt I5-11400 1080p 144hz monitor

UPS: Aviem Pro Gen3 (1000VA/600W)

my main concern is whether or not the UPS is doing its job in protecting the PC from the (what I assume are) voltage spikes caused by the AC. Would be grateful for any answer!

I have an air conditioner that periodically makes a clicking noise that causes my monitor to lose its image for a second (this also causes the light in my room to flicker for a sec). I'm not concerned about my monitor as much as I am concerned about my PC. the PC seems to be utterly unaffected by this (when this happens I notice no stuttering or any other visible issues that could indicate a problem with the PC)

Specs: Rog strix 650W PSU Rx 6650 xt I5-11400 1080p 144hz monitor

UPS: Aviem Pro Gen3 (1000VA/600W)

my main concern is whether or not the UPS is doing its job in protecting the PC from the (what I assume are) voltage spikes caused by the AC. Would be grateful for any answer!
Don't you have monitor also plugged in the UPS ?
Most UPS have some protection from negative and positive voltage spikes and so do good PSUs while monitors have just basic power supplies.
Devices with motors have huge power usage spikes while starting, typically using 2-3 or more times more power than when running at normal speed which causes corresponding voltage drop.
If possible it would be best to have PC connected to different phase from AC unit or at least on different line/circuit breaker.

Reactions: ShwaBdudle

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Don't you have monitor also plugged in the UPS ?
Most UPS have some protection from negative and positive voltage spikes and so do good PSUs while monitors have just basic power supplies.
Devices with motors have huge power usage spikes while starting, typically using 2-3 or more times more power than when running at normal speed which causes corresponding voltage drop.
If possible it would be best to have PC connected to different phase from AC unit or at least on different line/circuit breaker.
Monitor is also plugged into the UPS. Sadly I cannot plug the AC or PC into a different outlet. Those 2 are the only ones available in my room. But I'm guessing from your reply that this isn't much of an issue for the PC?

Monitor is also plugged into the UPS. Sadly I cannot plug the AC or PC into a different outlet. Those 2 are the only ones available in my room. But I'm guessing from your reply that this isn't much of an issue for the PC?
So that UPS is not too good in regulating spikes.Goodpartisthat those are negative voltage spikes which are not dangerous but can be annoying. As I said before, modern PSU are good at ironing voltage as they are made to work at wide range of voltages and powers and use large capacitors to maintain them for short times. Monitor PSU are made to be just enough for particular monitor, spare power to account for large voltage drop.

Reactions: ShwaBdudle

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
So that UPS is not too good in regulating spikes.Goodpartisthat those are negative voltage spikes which are not dangerous but can be annoying. As I said before, modern PSU are good at ironing voltage as they are made to work at wide range of voltages and powers and use large capacitors to maintain them for short times. Monitor PSU are made to be just enough for particular monitor, spare power to account for large voltage drop.
They are indeed quite annoying but I'm glad that this doesn't pose a risk to the PC. Also, thanks for the explanation and fast reply!

Reactions: CountMike